Author Topic: Replay Browser: Show full filename of selected replay, for Proxima  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Hi Proxima,

in 2017, you suggested the following, which is also github issue #376:

Quote from: Proxima
In the replay browser, display the full replay filename under the level name on the right, so that it's easier to distinguish multiple replays in the common case when the default filename does not display in full in the list on the left.

I've come around to implement this. Look at the attached images; they differ in the bottom two lines of the nameplate (= the text between level preview image and the big buttons). I assume that you're still running Lix in 640x480, it's a rather tall resolution at 4:3, leading to cramped horizontal space.

The nameplate abbreviates the beginning of the replay filename, so you can always see the last part of the filename. Compare this with the file browser's listing at the left-hand side of the screen: It abbreviates the end of the filename, as is customary for abbreviating text in general.

Implemented in 0.10.1 is the first attached image: It says "Replay:" in line 3 and has a big arrow for the pointed-to level in line 4.
  • Is the first image clear enough about what's the replay file and what's the pointed-to level? Captions are up for discussion.
  • Does the nameplate show enough of the replay filename? The idea is that for really long filenames, you'll have the browser listing for the beginning, and you'll have this nameplate for the end.
  • Do you still run Lix at 640x480?
  • The second image is an alternative idea: Shorten the "Replay:" in line 3 to some single symbol and shorten the pointed-to arrow in line 4 to match the symbol in line 3. Is that better or worse?
  • Or do both solutions suck and you need something else?
-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Replay Browser: Show full filename of selected replay, for Proxima
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 03:55:13 AM »
Proxima told me (already over a week ago) that with widescreen, the issue already became less of a problem.

I'll keep the first solution:
  • The file listing at the left abbreviates replay filenames at their end.
  • The level nameplate at the right says "Replay:" and abbreviates the replay filenames at the front, so you can see the tail of the replay filenames fully.
  • Below that, the level nameplate has the long arrow pointing the level filename. I abbreviate the level filename at its end.
This is clearer than the second solution that would introduce more cryptic symbols.

I'll close the bug on github. If something sucks, bring it up, and we can improve it later. (Ah, I already closed it on github two weeks ago, and merely forgot to post here.)

-- Simon