Author Topic: Options menu - what options are needed?  (Read 3527 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Options menu - what options are needed?
« on: August 08, 2022, 04:44:48 AM »
The options Loap currently supports (via editing the INI file) are:

Exists in current build (V0.0.21.0)
- Fullscreen mode
- Changing the window size
- Enabling / disabling VSync
- Changing the rendering resolution
- Toggling whether the mouse cursor locks in one place while rotating / panning the camera with the mouse
- Enabling or disabling replay auto-saving
- Hiding / showing the minimap (this one can be toggled in-game too via hotkey or clicking the red button in the minimap's corner)
- Changing the minimap size
- Changing the minimap resolution

Implemented for next build (V0.0.22.0)
- Sound / music volume
- Invert mouse camera movements on all axes of panning / rotation (seperate settings for each axis and for pan vs rotate)
- Mouse camera movement sensitivity
- Frame limiter (already exists but in a more-debuggy fashion rather than a proper setting)
- Display FPS (already exists but in a more-debuggy fashion rather than a proper setting)
- Trap mouse in window
- Disabling the background moving in menu screens

Planned but not yet implemented
(None)

Additionally, hotkeys can also be customized.

Is there anything else that should be configurable?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 03:47:34 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Options menu - what options are needed?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 08:31:52 AM »
From the topic about DireKrow's suggestions / missing features list, which in turn was a copy-paste from Discord:

For options, chiefly I'd say display and render resolutions, fs/windowed, vsync/framelimiter, music/sound vol, key & mouse rebinding, camera sensitivity, cursor lock on drag, cursor trap in window are the main things you'd want for this in v1.0.

Not including those already implemented, this adds:
- Camera sensitivity
- Trapping the cursor in the window
- Frame limiter (already exists as a debug-style option that can be activated / deactivated with a hotkey and is not preserved between sessions)

On top of this, probably not a bad idea to implement a (non-hidden) option for FPS display. No real downside to doing so.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 08:39:27 PM »
Good call, control sensitivity is important.

For camera panning/moving with the mouse: Option to invert mouse y. Possibly an option to invert mouse x.

I doubt many people will need either inversion, but if somebody is used to that, it's the most blissful feature. I had a new player request right-click scrolling inversion for Lix and it was his only ever issue. 8-)

You have a thorough list already of reasonable options. I'd have to dive into the playing experience properly to tell if anything important is still missing. Busy with many other things, but we never know.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 02:16:13 AM »
Hm, yeah, invert would be a good idea. Should it be seperate settings for panning vs rotating?

There's also Z axis to consider for scrolling, too, not just X and Y. Loap uses right click and drag to rotate, middle click and drag to pan X / Z, and mouse wheel to pan Y. Note that Z is the vertical axis in Loap, though I assume you meant vertical when speaking about Y. Then there's also keyboard-based movement, but that's already possible to configure (by simply swapping the hotkeys), albeit currently only by editing a text file.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 07:16:32 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 09:51:10 AM »
Commit d01f38f adds options for inverting the mouse controls on all axes (for both panning and rotation, seperately, where applicable). To be clear, at this stage it still can only be edited via the INI file.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 02:17:08 AM »
Commit ef4bfab adds camera sensitivity, commit c592f1b adds persistent (and INI-configurable) options for frame limiter and FPS display, and commit 2ec3122 adds confining the mouse to the game window.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 03:47:10 AM »
Thought of one more, and implemented in commit 2b2a569 - an option to disable the background scrolling in the menu screens. I don't recall where, but I remember someone complaining about this being annoying, so I added an option to turn it off.
My Lemmings projects