Author Topic: Custlemm Level Pack Topic  (Read 93410 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Custlemm Level Pack Topic
« Reply #300 on: February 21, 2009, 10:29:57 PM »
[...]

I'll review my solution when I get home later tonight and if it seems different enough from what you're doing, maybe we can trade solutions?

[edit: I reviewed my solution and although the fall does look fairly high, I don't think it was as bad as you described.  But I was also using CustLemm with its slightly higher max safe fall distance, I don't know if it matters.  (I kinda doubt it since the second fall doesn't look that high compare to the first...)]
I used the Custlemm fall distance as well, it was really that tight in my solution. Admittedly, my solution isn't really an elegant one, but it works nonetheless.

I wouldn't mind trading solutions. I've already got it uploaded, so I can send it via PM if you want.

In that regard, it'd also be interesting to see the intended solution.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 22, 2009, 02:43:33 AM »
Check your pm (and/or email ;))

ccexplore: I can email you my solution too if you want.

Offline -H0ru5-

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 23, 2009, 10:43:55 AM »
Back after a long time... I tried to complete the weirdy4 mappack to regain my knowledge, but i couldn't beat the 8th: "Lemming direct!". Strange because geoo's Crossing stairs can use the same method if Lemming direct is solvable, however I wasted far more utils for the turnaround than 1 blocker, 1 basher, 1 miner and 2 digger... actually, 4 basher and 4 digger...  :tongue:
Edit: I just solved weirdy's 4/#8 map... that was evil  :wink:

I attempted to solve Clam's Xmas maps, but only the first one succeeded... and Edge of the madness worths its title.  :o

For now, I try to hold the pace and take a look on those more actual levels.

Edit2, solved geoo levels:

Simple Warm-up
Everything you don't need
crossing stairs
Down the cliff
There's a method in the madness
Finding a place to stay
Upset lemming
The way up

8/20, that's quite bad yet  :(

Increasing step heights: played for days but nothing
Through the thicket: surely uses a technique i don't know
Mission at max-fall 60: what does this title stands for? Is the safe-fall distance been modified and lemmix can't handle it? I use custlemm2, the outcome is the same :)
High-tech or Low-tech: best performance is 82%, i can't imagine the role of the digger
Twice the same?: My only idea was a clickfest to turn 6 lemmings back and press the remaining builder over the top of the map and when he starts to wabbling, to set him free with a bash.
Supaplex tricks: some steels are drillable, some are not, you have to find out... maybe after the 139th try  :-\ reminds me a lot the nightmare named Gulp! on Amiga...
More 'No Builder Problems': crossing stairs 2, not too much energy left for this one
Follow Me: again tiredness, maybe next time :)
Palace o/t once-hacked Lemmings: backslash-zero for release rate, quite slow  :o the more and more I felt the goal is to find some kind of hack in the game engine only for this map, like mid-air invisible exits, altered safe-fall distances, bashable steels, anti-gravitation somewhere...  :XD:
Prepairing their ways: felt it's possible at least  :)
Trading and Cooperating: very interesting design, worthy for a retry
Don't Stop Me Now!: if you say it's based on an ugly glitch, then i give it a wide berth...

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 23, 2009, 09:13:30 PM »
'Mission at max-fall 60' would be supposed to be solved with Original Lemmings mode in Lemmix if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't work in Lemmix because pausing at the beginning doesn't save you a fraction of a second there. In CustLem2 however, it should work as intended (the Lemming should splat in both of the lower precipices).
'High-tech or Low-tech' uses some glitch that was less known back when it was released, ccexplore released a level showing this off at some point: http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=levelpacks/bigleap.lvl
'Supaplex tricks': I re-checked in Lemmix, and all grey areas (apart from the two terminal at the border) are steel blocks and everything else isn't. (This doesn't change the fact though that you need to use steel glitches, sorry.)
'Follow Me' is full of backroutes, so you shouldn't have a problem finding some solution to it. >:(
'Palace o/t once-hacked Lemmings': You might want to read ccexplore's (guest) posts from 29 Jul 2005 from here for information on the glitch used: http://camanis.net/lemmings/lemmingswelt/forums/?topic=1117597280
'Trading and Cooperating' in its current version has a few backroutes digging through the bottom pillar.

Offline -H0ru5-

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 23, 2009, 10:22:56 PM »
'Mission at max-fall 60' : I forgot this glitch because it had never been used... but I remember I paused the game many times at the start, and many times our hero was nearer to the exit at T.  :laugh:
'High-tech or Low-tech' : i still hope i find it out myself, but all in all the mere possibility is shocking  :scared:
'Supaplex tricks' : No no it's enough to say the areas cover perfectly the terrain pieces, i bashed the exact half of a grey piece and thats made me desperate.
'Palace o/t once-hacked Lemmings' : I expected the miner versus arrows bug, however the lemmings stopped the work. I found some kind of textfile just today which serves as an on/off switch for this bug, so again, everything is possible. (but not in LemEdit :) )

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 24, 2009, 02:28:39 AM »
Hey H0ru5, welcome back! Good to see you got my Xmas levels working (and yes, level 3 is nuts :devil:).

Reading the old challenge thread (thanks geoo for linking this) makes me realise that there's a lot more glitches in the game than I've discovered so far, and also that a couple of the glitches that I've either found by myself or read about somewhere else were actually known to you all along. I even thought of applying the glitch used in "High-tech or Low-tech" to the original levels (eg. "Lend a helping hand") and now I find out that it's been done before :(. That's some fantastic work you did there ccexplore :thumbsup:

(edit) Something else in that threrad that made me :laugh: :
Quote from: LemSteven
On Classic Level 28, save every lemming without using the spades hidden in the large wall.

I never even noticed the spades hidden in the wall :XD:

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 21, 2009, 01:49:24 AM »
I've just solved "Don't Stop Me Now!" from geoo's second pack. You're right - that is an obscure glitch :)

Check your email geoo ;)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 22, 2009, 01:17:02 PM »
Hah, that's great! :)

How did you find out about that glitch?
I did back when experimenting with the glitch ccexplore used for that one Wicked 7 challenge...

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 23, 2009, 01:45:41 AM »
I noticed something odd while I was playing around with "Surprise Package" (the nuke level). As part of my new challenge thread, I wanted to find the max % scores for the Holiday levels (of course, this one is somewhat difficult to find the max score on...). Anyway, while I was testing this glitch I found a couple of other oddities. I didn't actually realise at the time that I'd stumbled on the key to solving your level :XD:

Offline -H0ru5-

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 23, 2009, 12:17:22 PM »
Strange hint in the post above... nuke, nuke... still nothing XD
Don't know how the F12 can help in such a situation. Anyway, isn't nuke forbidden in the level building etiquette? I don't think so, but I read it somewhere...

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 24, 2009, 01:46:44 AM »
The glitch isn't really anything to do with the nuke, except for the fact that you have to use the nuke to pass "Surprise Package". I could have easily come across this glitch in a more "conventional" manner in another level. The observation of a glitch in that level (which btw was NOT the same glitch as the one used in geoo's level - it's related though) was purely down to luck.

In response to your question: I don't see any reason why the nuke should be forbidden by etiquette. It's a valid game mechanic, just as valid as the 8 skills and the (often unexpected) combinations thereof. If anyone can direct me to a post where the author has said otherwise, I'd like to see it :)

Offline -H0ru5-

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 25, 2009, 11:06:15 AM »
In response to your question: I don't see any reason why the nuke should be forbidden by etiquette. It's a valid game mechanic, just as valid as the 8 skills and the (often unexpected) combinations thereof. If anyone can direct me to a post where the author has said otherwise, I'd like to see it :)

Actually it was an older lemmings forum where they held a level building competition. There was 3 forbidden method as the requested solution:
pixel precise meeting of a basher and a digger, or a basher or a miner
more than five pixel precise bomber
nuke glitch

I agreed with the first and the second as they could be really annoying - especially after another long routine tasks - to set some timer well... that's not what Lemmings about. But I think so too that there is nothing really unpolite in the usage of nuke (except if the author has no heart and the level needs the best possible percent XD ).
I'm working on levels which may require nuke so I just asked the question to be sure :)

But at the end, if there would be laws in level designing, the half of geoo's mappacks would be illegal :D

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 25, 2009, 10:37:53 PM »
Ah, the nuke glitch... that's another matter entirely. Have a look in this thread (quickly becoming a favorite of mine :)) and do a Ctrl-F search for "nuke glitch" if you want to know about it. I won't post it here just in case I spoil it for someone, but it's pretty well known by now.

But at the end, if there would be laws in level designing, the half of geoo's mappacks would be illegal :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Is Custlemm anything that isn't Cheapo?

Would this be where I'd put, say, a level pack of 120 levels made with LemEdit? (If I ever finish them!)

Yep.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 18, 2009, 03:06:08 AM »
After several months of failing at tseug's levels, I've finally solved some - Slipping, Not Quite, and More Steel Works. :)

And I've just done geoo's Prepairing their ways and Mission at max-fall 60 (taking into account the pausing time at the start).

Offline -H0ru5-

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 18, 2009, 07:15:44 PM »
Progressing slowly with my new levelpack... unfortunately, I was testing them in Lemmix until I encountered a surprising problem. As far as I know, the maxfall should be 66 pixel, however when I tested it in Custlemm they died above 63... I didn't spot it before.
I tried the same on another level but that time both version had a maxfall-66. Maybe because that was an original level, and the first one was oh-no? Please tell me, which is the authoritative for level building?

For the sake of testing, I also retried Clam's Edge of madness and made the 100% :)