Author Topic: [BUG][PLAYER] NeoLemmix 12.10.3 crashes on startup  (Read 1698 times)

Offline doop

• View Profile
[BUG][PLAYER] NeoLemmix 12.10.3 crashes on startup
« on: January 07, 2021, 05:53:24 PM »
NeoLemmix 12.10.3

First, the following dialog box appears:
Error during settings loading:
EAccessViolation: No levels contained in selected pack!
Default settings have been loaded. Customizations to settings during this session will not be saved.

Then, once you click 'OK', a second dialog box appears:
Access violation at address 00B3E1EF in module 'NeoLemmix.exe'. Read of address 00000004.

This happens even with the default levels in the appropriate locations.

I'm running on Windows 10 on an ARM processor, FWIW. Win32 applications are, in theory, supposed to be able to run without modification on this system, but apparently that's not true for NeoLemmix!

If I can be of more assistance in fixing this issue, please let me know. Thanks!

- doop -

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [BUG][PLAYER] NeoLemmix 12.10.3 crashes on startup
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 09:39:44 PM »
Do you have any level packs inside your "levels" folder? When it's completely empty I think NL crashes.

Offline doop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 10:40:36 PM »
I do have level packs in the "levels" folder: 'Lemmings' and 'Lemmings Redux'.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 11:20:27 PM »
Do you have a settings file in the settings folder, it sounds like there is a problem with that file.

If so, are you able to attach it to a post.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 12:08:38 AM »
Was this an installation that was working before, or has it never worked on this system?

The errors sound similar to this, in which the solution was a fresh installation: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5114.0

Probably not it, but might not hurt to look at if nothing else works: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4715.0

Offline doop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 12:41:59 AM »
Do you have a settings file in the settings folder, it sounds like there is a problem with that file.

If so, are you able to attach it to a post.
There is no "settings" file in the settings folder.

Was this an installation that was working before, or has it never worked on this system?
This is a fresh installation that has never worked on this system.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 10:51:57 PM »
Do you have the same/similar outcome with other NL versions, or with regular Lemmix?

I don't have any ARM device that can run Windows 10 to test on myself, but NeoLemmix tends to be a bit "edge case-y" in terms of how it works, so it would not be surprising if it's among the exceptions to the "x86 emulation can run almost everything".
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline doop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 12:33:23 AM »
Do you have the same/similar outcome with other NL versions, or with regular Lemmix?

Well, after much dicking around, I've discovered that the problem was, in fact, that I was running neolemmix off a mapped network drive (my file server) rather than directly off the "C" drive.

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for the help!