Author Topic: How To Run Lemmings Revolution in Windows 10  (Read 13286 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
How To Run Lemmings Revolution in Windows 10
« on: January 02, 2021, 11:32:09 AM »
The following is a guide on how to get Lemmings Revolution to run in Windows 10 from scratch.

You can also use this version (credit to jkapp76 for compilation), which is a fully pre-patched & self-contained copy of Lemmings Revolution including a fully unlocked save file; this is probably your best bet. (N.B. Remember to right-click the .exe and run it in Compatibility Mode > Windows XP Service Pack 3).

Here's the guide anyway, for those who want to do their own install:

I ran into some issues getting Lemmings Revolution to run in Windows 10, so I've decided to document here what I did in order to get it to work. Hopefully, if you're encountering the same problems, this will solve them for you as well! :lemcat:

You will need a working copy of the Lemmings Revolution CD (or a legit Iso image of the CD) in order to get it working; this guide assumes that you have one. You can pick one up from eBay very inexpensively.

Lemmings Revolution Setup Guide for Windows 10

Step 1: Enabling your PC to run 32-bit apps

There are likely several ways to achieve this, but here's the method I used:

1. In Windows Search, type "features." Choose the Control Panel app "Turn Windows features on or off" under 'best match'.
2. Check the box beside "Internet Information Services" and click OK to install. It will take about 30 seconds. Close the dialog when done.
3. In the Windows Search, type "IIS." Choose the app "Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager" under 'best match'.
4. Once open, navigate to the left pane (under "Connections") and you will see your PC listed. Click the arrow to Expand and choose "Application Pools".
5. In the main part of the window, right-click on "DefaultAppPool" and choose Advanced Settings from the context menu.
6. Under 'General', click on "Enable 32-bit Applications", click the arrow and change the value from 'False' to 'True'.
7. Restart your PC.

Step 2: Installing Lemmings Revolution from the CD/Iso

1. Insert the Lemmings Revolution CD into your disk drive and choose "Run Setup.exe" or navigate to your CD drive and run the "SETUP" application.
2. If 32-bit apps are succesfully enabled on your PC, you should see a dialog for choosing your preferred setup language. Go ahead and choose, then click "OK" to begin the installation.
3. Choose a "Typical" installation, which will load all necessary files onto your PC. It may mention several video or audio codecs, more recent versions of which are already installed on your machine and therefore will not be replaced - go ahead and click OK to move past this and complete the installation process.

Step 3: Installing the Full Color v1.0 (Beta 3) patch required to make the game run smoothly on Windows 10

1. Navigate to the OS (C:)/Program Files (x86)/Take 2 Interactive Software Europe/Lemmings Revolution directory.
2. Download the attachment "Full Color v1.0 (Beta 3).exe" and place it into the above directory.
3. Right-click on "Full Color v1.0 (Beta 3).exe" and choose Run as Administrator.
4. In the command window that opens, press any key to begin the patching process (it may run automatically). Once complete, close the command window.

You can now run Lemmings Revolution from the Lemmings Revolution.exe Application!

N.B. Note that, for the game to run, the CD must be in the drive, or the Iso file must be mounted into the relevant virtual drive (usually (E:)).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 08:49:38 AM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: How To Run Lemmings Revolution in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 11:59:52 AM »
Addendum

It may also be necessary to run Lemmings Revolution.exe itself as Administrator, if you are still encountering issues following the above setup guide.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 12:06:02 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 08:40:38 AM »
There is also a pre-patched version here (credit to jkapp76 for compilation) which also includes a fully unlocked save file :thumbsup:

N.B. Remember to right-click the .exe and run it in Compatibility Mode > Windows XP Service Pack 3.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 08:49:21 AM by WillLem »

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 04:48:28 PM »
Some people have messaged me about changing the location of the portable version of Lemmings Revolution.

Once you run the portable setup you can't change the location.

I've attached here a registry file that will remove the game's install information. Just double-click it. Then you can run the game's setup again after placing the game in a new location.

The 64bit version works for 64bit versions of windows 10 and 11, the 32bit version will work for other 32bit versions of Windows.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 08:30:36 PM by jkapp76 »
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline yobogel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 02:47:14 AM »
Firstly, thanks so much for dedicating time to helping preserve Lemmings Revolution. Was talking to my sister about this game we would play as kids and has gotten me itching to play it again (without reviving the childhood computer I have kept in my garage). I'm not able to get it to run on Windows 11. Any tips?

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 02:56:52 AM »
Firstly, thanks so much for dedicating time to helping preserve Lemmings Revolution. Was talking to my sister about this game we would play as kids and has gotten me itching to play it again (without reviving the childhood computer I have kept in my garage). I'm not able to get it to run on Windows 11. Any tips?

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZgMPtXZFtWqa43MhOzlxBNtTOEFubaXJ01k
You should be able to download this version, unzip it to a permanent location, run the installer and play it just fine on windows 11.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline Sir_Ninonino

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 09:03:27 PM »
Hello, new user that's tried to install Lemmings Revolution here, but it gives me this error:

---------------------------
Fatal application error
No suitable 3D accelerator detected
OK   

What can I do? I've Googled for solutions but got nowhere. Thanks in advance!

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2023, 04:45:25 PM »
This sounds like your computer doesn't have a compatible graphics card. I haven't seen this error myself.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2023, 10:28:56 PM »
Hello, new user that's tried to install Lemmings Revolution here, but it gives me this error:

Fatal application error
No suitable 3D accelerator detected
OK   

What can I do? I've Googled for solutions but got nowhere. Thanks in advance!

I don't think it's the graphics card; I've gotten this error many times. Have you tried download  jkapp76's edited version (first download link in the first post). I'm currently on Windows 10 and I think this was the only version I managed to get to work myself. Try running it in administrator mode.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Sir_Ninonino

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2023, 12:17:27 PM »
I did try, but it didn't work. However, just moments ago, after some browsing, I found out about dgVoodoo2 and after downloading and "installing" I can happily say that it's running perfect :thumbsup:
Well, I actually had to also apply the patch, but that works flawlessly. Time to relive some old times (and actually finish the game this time).