Poll

What theme should the next pack be about that I start developing?

Magic: The Gathering (pack name: Lemmings: The Gathering)
3 (11.1%)
Horror Movies (pack name: Lemmings Slaughterhouse)
4 (14.8%)
Memes (pack name: Lemmings Social Network)
1 (3.7%)
Astronomy (pack name: Lemmings Universe)
17 (63%)
Music (again ;D ) (pack name: Lemmings Band Camp)
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Vote on the theme of my next pack!  (Read 7223 times)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Vote on the theme of my next pack!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 12:36:24 PM »
Reading it again, I think your suggestion didn't refer to tilesets directly, but you definitely gave me the idea to have several levels per planet / moon. ;) With my original concept, I guess our entire solar system would have been confined to one rank, with just one level per planet / moon, and then we would have gone straight out into the unknown.

Indeed, I wasn't referring to tilesets at all and therefore wasn't suggesting only one tileset per rank. My suggestion was simply name each rank either by the name of a planet in our solar system, or some word describing the planet, like maybe greenhouse gases for the rank name instead of Venus. For the former, it's like you said, this would require you to come up with the same number of levels for each one per rank/planet. Not only that, it's also very tricky considering that as we know not all 8 planets are the same in terms of physical properties and whatnot. Now that I think about it, it might just be better to simply use adjectives for the ranks so that it can better describe other planets and other celestial bodies and not just the planets in our solar system.

In any case, it's way too early for any of us to be suggesting ideas for you for this astronomy pack if you ever decided to do one due to the overwhelming majority that went with astronomy, since your current priorities are the packs you still have in development. Also, it's ultimately your pack and therefore you get the final say in how your project comes out. If it ever gets off the ground, I will definitely look forward to this astronomy themed pack of yours! :thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2020, 01:34:50 PM »
Well, then, let's play around with some ideas! The phase of divergent thinking (=brainstorming) was over pretty quickly, now we're engaging in convergent thinking (=narrowing it down to the option we have chosen). I could already open an In-Development thread for Lemmings Universe, but I want to wait with that at least until I've officially released Lemmings Open Air. Otherwise, it will look like I'm starting several things and never finishing any of them. :P

The next thing I / we should still decide on early is the tilesets that are going to be used. I don't want the chosen styles to be as arbitrary as in Lemmings World Tour. At the same time, I'm not ruling out tileset mixing completely. In Lemmings, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll, I'm repeatedly mixing the same tilesets to emulate other tilesets that NeoLemmix doesn't have - specifically, those from Lemmings 3D. Now we could think about which tilesets to mix to emulate certain planets, and then whenever that combination of tilesets shows up again, you know where you are. ;)

Let's start in our own solar system; this is going to be complex enough! :D

Mercury: L2 Space, orig Fire
Venus: nin10doadict's Lava tileset, orig Fire, namida / GigaLem Sky, ONML Rock
Earth: namida / GigaLem Tree, namida / GigaLem Desert, namida / GigaLem Metal, L2 Beach, orig Brick
The Moon: L2 Space, orig Crystal, ONML Rock, namida Mineshaft, namida / GigaLem Purple
Mars: namida Martian, orig Dirt, namida / GigaLem Desert, ONML Rock
Jupiter: namida / GigaLem Sky, namida / GigaLem Desert, namida Martian
Europa: ONML Snow, Raymanni Snow
Ganymede: ONML Snow, Raymanni Snow, orig Crystal, ONML Rock
Io: namida Honeycomb, namida / GigaLem Desert, orig Fire, ONML Rock
Saturn: namida / GigaLem Sky, namida / GigaLem Desert
Titan: ONML Rock, ONML Snow, ONML Bubble, namida / GigaLem Desert, Raymanni Snow
Uranus: namida / GigaLem Sky, ONML Snow, Raymanni Snow, Proxima Tile, Jarv Future
Neptune: same as Uranus
Pluto: namida Martian, ONML Snow, ONML Rock, Raymanni Snow

Here we already see the problem: A lot of the tilesets overlap. So visual recognizability suffers because the various planets and moons will look very similar, unless I only use specific, different pieces from the same tileset for two different planets / moons.

For example, the reason I listed the Desert tileset(s) for Saturn is that many of the pieces have the same shape as in the Sky tileset(s). Thus, I could use them as clouds, even inter-mix them with pieces from the Sky tileset(s), and thus, due to the different context, they would indeed look like clouds, not like heaps of sand. ;)

Once we leave our own solar system, there are a couple of types of planets we could add that we don't have here. For example, a complete water world, which could use Arty's Underwater tileset.
Most actual confirmed planets out there however don't have particularly memorable names - and we don't really know what they look like either, we can only imagine. In turn, if we fill some of those gaps with SciFi references (from Star Trek, Star Wars, or others), the world outside our own solar system might become more specific.

Star Trek is sometimes a little unimaginative when it comes to the physical makeup of other worlds - because most of the plots usually revolve around diplomacy and humanoid interactions, the vast majority of stories are simply settled on "M-class planets", which basically look like Earth, with just a couple tweaks here and there.
Star Wars, in contrast, frequently employs the idea of an entire planet having the same climate (e.g. Tatooine entirely a desert, Mustafar entirely volcanic, Hoth entirely frozen, Dagoba entirely a swamp etc.) That may be more versatile - but not necessarily realistic, thinking about how much climate zones differ just within the confines of our own planet. With the exception of a world that's entirely frozen (simply because it's too far away from its star), these "Mono Worlds" aren't all that likely to exist. But of course, they make for better levels / easier tileset choices. ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2020, 09:40:28 PM »
Looks like a great starting point to me with the list of possible tilesets to use! :thumbsup: Now I'm definitely very excited to see how the actual levels turn out with your awesome artistic skills ;)

I could already open an In-Development thread for Lemmings Universe, but I want to wait with that at least until I've officially released Lemmings Open Air. Otherwise, it will look like I'm starting several things and never finishing any of them. :P

Exactly. Not only that, I prefer people not overwhelm themselves if they can help it by having multiple projects in progress. It's all about baby steps and taking things one at a time as they come/go. Just better for one's sake and sanity this way IMO :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0