Author Topic: Rising water  (Read 4692 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Rising water
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 04:48:39 PM »
That said, instant bombers can be fun, and are certainly more convenient. I personally think this is a situation where both would be best; i.e. if Timed Bombers could make an appearance maybe as an alternative version of regular instant Bombers, so that either could be used in a NeoLemmix level, that may be a good way to bring it back without upsetting too many people. Maybe. I won't get my hopes up though
Hi WillLem, this is exactly the idea I had concerning Timed Bomber, as another skill, like to Bomber. Isn't that a good idea ?

This idea has potential in SuperLemmini, but not NL. Again, timed bombers only add execution difficulty and we exactly want to avoid that in NL - therefore we want to avoid timed bombers. As a result, Slowfreeze and radiation were removed as well.

Try pleasing every party with 1 engine is a bad idea in general regardless of engine's core motivation. For timed bombers there is always Lemmini and the original games and as SuperLemmini's philosophy is closer related to those as well a comeback there would fit.

My personal opinion on them is very radical: Burn timed bombers to the ground and whereever they try to resurface again hit them with a hammer! :devil:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Rising water
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 06:26:54 PM »
Can someone explain to me what the "cleanse levels" feature is? I know it makes an up-to-date version of the levels, but when does one use it? How often should it be done? After every major NL release? Should players be doing it too, not just level designers?

Basically, it just makes the player load and re-save every level. The new copy of the level file will be completely up to date format wise, all meaningless lines stripped, etc. Why exactly this works (rather than just spitting out an identical file) is a bit technical, but in short - if there's been a level format change that other tools no longer understand, but the player still does, this can get those levels into the current format so that other tools (like the editor) can use them again.

My current intent is that all versions up to (but not including) the final version, will retain all backwards compatibility that exists now, if possible to do so. So going forward, it shouldn't be necessary for any content that already works on the current version. But it's there just in case, as well as for content that hasn't been brought up to date yet.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)