Author Topic: NeoLemmix V12.10.0-RC Released [Stable released]  (Read 16580 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.0-RC Released [RC5 update released]
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2020, 01:22:59 AM »
Uploaded the RC5 update. This should be getting very close to final now.

Attached ZIP can be used to upgrade from any previous V12.10.0-RC version. Full download and changelog are in the first post.

The only thing that I can think of that still needs discussion is the Records button. Does anyone have other graphic suggestions, and/or comments on existing suggestions (including the suggestion of "use text")? If no better alternatives are suggested, the existing graphic will remain.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:14:36 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2020, 01:25:14 AM »
If no better alternatives are suggested, the existing graphic will remain.

Does this mean that you don't regard using the text as a better alternative? FWIW, I'd say it would definitely be better to simply have a "Records" button than a graphic.

However, I can also see that keeping it as a graphic is more consistent with the rest of the menu's appearance. In that case, the rosette is fine, but maybe it could have an "R" on it as a compromise?

I've attached a version with an R (and a different colour scheme) :lemcat:

EDIT: One idea that could avoid all confusion about all menu graphics would be to show what it is when hovered-over (a little mini dialog could appear saying "Records", "Release Rate", "Lem Count", "Save Requirement", etc)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2020, 07:47:35 AM »
If no better alternatives are suggested, the existing graphic will remain.

Does this mean that you don't regard using the text as a better alternative? FWIW, I'd say it would definitely be better to simply have a "Records" button than a graphic.

It's more that I'm treating it as a "last resort, if there's nothing else and lots of opposition to the graphic". It really doesn't feel right to me, especially with the talismans that (may) appear alongside it being graphical.

The recolored rosette looks nicer, and the R on it is a good compromise that doesn't feel too out-of-place.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2020, 10:02:42 AM »
So I downloaded and played the new RC NeoLemmix for the first time. Very impressive looking front page! I like the new graphics for the ranks in Lemmings Redux. :thumbsup: I'll certainly be looking forward to trying some levels with the new gameplay and post-screen interface.

The Redux levels however still haven't been updated. As there's still plenty of time before the deadline, I have re-attached the file used for the levels folder but this time - hopefully as this is more convenient for you - put the necessary ones in rather than gather them all at once, and in the appropriate places.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2020, 05:29:09 PM »
I grabbed the latest download from the first page of the Redux topic, at the time I added Redux to the RC. I'll update this again alongside the stable release (ie: if there's an RC6, it'll have the same Redux version it does now).
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2020, 02:23:28 AM »
The recolored rosette looks nicer, and the R on it is a good compromise that doesn't feel too out-of-place.

Cool, thanks! Feel free to use it in the absence of better ideas or objections. I agree, a graphic does seem to make more sense given that all other menu items are represented by graphics.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2020, 06:59:17 PM »
In light of a fairly concerning bug report I am delaying the release of 12.10 stable until I have had a chance to look into it. This should be either later today or tomorrow, so the new target release date is Saturday.

There is also a couple of minor matters to look into as well, but those alone would not have been cause for delay (they are minor enough they could be left for a 12.10.1 update, or possibly even fixed without needing a delay / later update).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.0-RC Released [Stable release delayed]
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2020, 12:03:12 AM »
Finally, it bothers me that at some zoom levels (particularly 3, which is what I want to use), the default window height is slightly too small to fit a 160-tall level. To be precise, zoom 3 makes the window default to 960 x 540. Since the skillbar is 120px tall (I think?), that leaves 420 for the level and it needs 480.

What the default window size should be is, of course, subjective. The formula currently used is:
> Start with a zoom factor of [Screen width / 320] or [Screen height / 180], rounded down, whichever is less.
> If the user's default in-game zoom is less than this, set the zoom factor to that instead
> If the zoom factor is less than 1 (low-res) or less than 2 (hi-res), set it to the respective value
> Set the window's ClientWidth to 320 x the zoom factor
> If the user uses the full-width skill panel, and the window width is less than 416px (low-res) or 832px (hi-res), set it to that
> Set the window's ClientHeight such that the width to height ratio is 16:9

ClientWidth and ClientHeight refer to the actual content area of the window; ie: excluding the title bar and borders.

It's obviously not possible to have an ideal window size for every level. 160px tall is particularly common for historical reasons, but there's no actual engine-based reason why it would have special status.  320px tall and 416px wide are significant due to being the widths of the skill panel; 16:9 is significant as the internal aspect ratio of menu screens.

Ultimately, I don't feel that "some levels are not an exact fit" is a particularly strong reason to adjust the algorithm, and that it would be impossible to have a default size that keeps everyone happy. Those who use windowed mode and do not like the default size are, of course, free to resize it - and if NL is ignoring / changing your custom sizing (other than enforcing a sensible range; ie: must be enough space for skill panel + at least some view of the level), report this as a bug. I could also consider, in a future update, providing input boxes in the settings menu so that you can directly type in a window size, rather than having to edit the settings INI file in order to be precise.

Although something weird is going on, because I went into settings and changed my window to 960 x 600, but that leaves a little grey bar at the top of the level; I thought it would fit exactly.

I explained this in Discord already, but I'll put it here too for reference - unless you're using the compact panel, this is not unusual at all. Unzoomed, the skill panel is 40px tall; and I'm assuming you're still talking about the same level, in particular, that it's 160px tall. For a 960x600 window, the full-width skill panel can only zoom to 2x due to the width (832px when zoomed 2x; it would need 1248 to zoom 3x). Therefore, its height is 80px. This leaves 520px - your description + expected defaults lead me to believe this is a 3x zoom, which for a 160px tall level, would be 480px. This leaves 40px of empty space. If you want to fill the window exactly, either (a) widen it to 1248px, if you want to keep the height as-is; (b) shorten it to 560px tall, if you want to keep the width as-is; or (c) switch to the compact panel, if you want to keep both as-is.

Also, I suggest that regardless of what ends up being the default, if the user configures their window to be taller than the default then on the main menu, preview and postview screens, the background should tile rather than leaving black space.

I am open to this idea, but it would be for V12.11 or V12.12 at this stage. Feel free to make a suggestion topic.

With this, I believe all outstanding matters are closed, and will now work on putting together a stable release. :)
My Lemmings projects