Author Topic: Turrican's Superlemmini projects  (Read 31055 times)

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
Turrican's Superlemmini projects
« on: September 21, 2020, 11:55:01 PM »
Hi! Today I have tried Superlemmini for the first time!

So I've decided to start testing levels that I have originally made for Lemmix , and whatever of these will be proved to be possible in Superlemmini , to post them here, with the replay of their solution! Also if at the future , I will make more multiplatform levels , or Superlemmini specific levels , I will post them here!

So for the first level of the thread , here is "The Crystal Coves"! I have attached the level and the replay of its solution!

Link for the music track of the level: https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=78413

EDIT : For the music track , create a folder , called "Turrican projects" in your music folder , and put the music track  inside that folder.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 11:37:20 AM by Turrican »
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Turrican's Superlemmini projects
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 12:51:44 AM »
Lemmini/Superlemmini were the two engines I used for several years before I started using NL last year. Even after a year, the former two are still my preferred engine of choice any day. While it's not exactly the authentic experience of the original game that I prefer, it's close enough, but I especially love the high resolution graphics and the smooth animation. Just be aware that the developer of SL, Tsyu, isn't as active (he comes and goes) around here as he used to be, and that some bugs have been reported to him that I would like to see fixed, most notably climber issues, as well as issues with replays, particularly with external levels.

Since you have decided to try out SL, I know this will make eric quite happy. He's been converting (in the process, he discovered plenty of bugs/issues in while converting certain levels over to SL, which I have helped him report to Tsyu and of course credited him for finding, as I never knew they existed in the SL engine) a lot of level packs to SL the last several months, which makes me quite happy since I've always wanted more packs for SL. So, I'm sure he'll be able to help you regarding the custom music. I don't know if it will work with external levels, though. As you might have seen, it plays a random music track every time you load a level file as an external level. Nevertheless, I think eric can help you with the music.

edit: Please note that any levels that require glitches to be solved will not work in SL, as SL pretty much removed all glitches. Some of your levels might work in Lemmini, though, but also note that there are plenty of glitches that are exclusive to Lemmini only and so glitch levels that work in Lemmini might not work in Lemmix, for example.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:06:31 AM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 01:44:20 AM »
the reason external levels play random music is because one has to actually add a music line inside the external level. This way you can even have an external level play any music you want, not just a random one. So for example in the levels I uploaded I added the line music = music file to the external level. Try it out. Start it a couple times to show
that its not random.

here I just grabbed a random level from the original game, and added a random music song inside the level(note I picked one from lemmings reunion)
or if you don't have Reunion installed
here's another level playing just an amiga song that everyone should have in their superlemmini music folder

Just open these as external levels and start them a couple times. They will play the same song every time.

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 02:28:19 AM »
also it's better to have levels for Superlemmini in .ini form than .lvl form. When it's in .ini form it's easier to edit. One can then open the level with just a regular text editor. One can't do that when
it's in .lvl form.

RE: Turrican
Anyways I converted your .lvl to .ini form using 1.43. I noticed though it changes the start position once converted, so I moved it to match the .lvl one.

Now that it's in .ini form I downloaded your mod song choice from your link(from the Mod Archive) and put the song inside the .ini level.

anyways to see your level with your song choice playing just download the .mod and .ini here.

Just put the .Mod music into your Main Superlemmini music folder. and put the .ini anywhere(preferably the level folder).

Then just open your level using the external levels option.
now one can play your level with your song choice.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 02:34:10 AM »
:forehead: I can't believe I didn't think of editing the ini file. I could had figured that out. Anyway, thanks to eric, I was able to get the custom music working on Turrican's level. Initially, I had problems getting it to work. That's because when I first loaded the level as an external level, I reopened the ini file and found out, to my surprise, that the line music = (name of track) got removed from the .ini file. After a few more minutes of playing around with the .lvl file, I was able to get it to work. I guess Superlemmini is extremely picky when loading a .lvl file instead of an .ini file.

• Load the .lvl file as an external level with Superlemmini
  • Navigate to the external folder inside the levels folder where your Superlemmini directory is located. The level name should now have an .ini file extension name.
  • Move this .ini file somewhere else and then add the line music = (name of music track you want to use). Make sure the track is inside the music folder.
  • Load the .ini file as an external level again and presto!

edit: Looks like eric discovered the exact same problem I did when it comes to loading external levels with .lvl files instead of .ini. His method seems more elegant and easier than the one I described, but both do work. Mine is a bit more cumbersome.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 03:17:24 AM »
Anyways, thanks for trying out Superlemmini. Although I know you like making special levels(ie glitches levels) as those are your favorites. But Superlemmini doesn't allow glitches, like regular
lemmini does. But still you can make remakes of glitch ones just without the glitch as I've done in Pimolems. And if your ever interested there are more Packs for Superlemmini available than before.

Anyways If you give Superlemmini enough trys, I think you will enjoy it alot as the graphics are much better than lemmix. Although lemmix does allow for glitches in custom lemmix.

And if you ever need help in anything Superlemmini-wise just post what you need help in as I'm always watching out for posts in the Superlemmini board.

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 02:01:37 AM »
@Kaywhyn and ericdercovits : Thank you for your comments and for your help :thumbsup:

I downloaded the .ini file , but unfortunately I need to correct the positioning of several objects ( there are still misplaced objects , and as the result the replay doesn't seem to work correctly near the end in that version )! And that is my fault , because when you make a Lemmix level ,  you need the x coordinates of each object to be multiples of 8! If you make a Lemmini level for example , you don't have restrictions like these, but when you make a Lemmix level you need to follow this rule , and I didn't know it when I made the level! As the result editors like Neolemmix 1.43 don't like that fact when you convert the level to .ini , and they reposition instead , each object to the nearest pixel , that have x coordinates that are a multiples of 8 , so you have to manually re-adjust each object ( like I did when I converted "The Crystal Coves" to Neolemmix )!

So I tried to download Jlevelbuider and Neolemmix editor 1.43 , but none of these programs managed to load the ini version! Jlevelbuilder asked for a crystal.ini file (if I remember correctly) file that I didn't have , and 1.43 couldn't find the graphics style at all! So my question here , is how I can make these program load .ini levels , in order to be able to modify them when needed?

In any case , many thanks for your help , and for providing the .ini file! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 02:11:37 AM by Turrican »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 02:56:43 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the answer you're looking for, but I was able to open the .ini file with the 1.43 editor. For the style, you have to select Neolemmix. According to the NL website, this is the only version of the NL editor that still supports Superlemmini levels. All other versions dropped support for SL.

If it's not the answer you're looking for, then eric is certainly the one who can better help you with your problem, as he knows way more about the structure of SL than me. He knows a lot of programming, so any questions you have regarding SL can better be answered by him. Part of this is that I have yet to play with the editor, as I haven't tried my hand at level design yet, but I will soon. The other person to ask would be Tsyu, the developer of SL, but as mentioned previously he's not as active here as he used to be, and he comes and goes.

Best of luck, and I will for sure try out your levels soon now that I managed to get them working and loading in Lemmix. I will also try them in SL soon as well.

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 03:21:35 AM »
Actually You can choose Superlemmini for opening your level .ini file, as long as you have all the styles in your Superlemmini folder. I've already done it and saw your Crystal Coves level choosing
Superlemmini(not neolemmix). Whenever I get new styles for Superlemmini I also put them into my 1.43 editor Superlemmini Styles folder. I have Icho's Reunion in the folder and also added
Zandindorf's skiwi and glacier style to it.

Right Now I'm uploading 1.43 to my dropbox(more than 32.7mb-so have to use dropbox) for you to use as it will open your crystal coves. ini file. But it's might be awhile, as it's going slow.

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 03:48:29 AM »
@Kaywhyn and ericdercovits : It worked !!! Thank you! :thumbsup:

I loaded the level in the editor with  the Neolemmix style , and it worked , so I was able to modify it quickly!

Also the replay works perfectly now too!

I have uploaded it in the opening post! Thank you again!

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 04:00:25 AM »
You're welcome. It's strange how it can be that simple just by selecting another style instead.. Like you, Turrican, it also gave me an error when I selected Superlemmini as the style. Also, eric, I tried doing what you said by putting in the Superlemmini styles in the same directory as the editor, and it still threw me the error when I selected Superlemmini as the style. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to edit the styles.ini file by putting the path where the styles are located. In any case, eric is the man and master when it comes to deciphering the structure of SL, as I too still have a lot to learn about it despite having played plenty of packs on SL in the last several years, as well as the NL editor, which I will likely start using soon. I may be inexperienced with the editor now, but I'll bring myself up to speed with it as soon as I start getting into level designing.

Glad that you got it working! :) I will for sure take a look at your levels soon. eric knows that I'm more well-known for playing and solving levels, as he considers me one of the really good solvers because he knows how I have played and completed so many level packs. 

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 04:09:45 AM »
Not sure what's happening with the editor on your end with not being able to choose Superlemmini as the choice, but just wait for my dropbox upload then you will be able to do what you want using
Superlemmini as the choice. Although you can choose Neolemmix as the choice, but there have been times when Superlemmini will crash when choosing Neolemmix as the Option when editing levels for Superlemmini..

Yes it probably won't with Turrican's Crystal cove level, since it uses just the crystal style set.

oh I forgot to mention I added Zanzindorf's Jill style too to the Superlemmini styles folder.

Also when I was converting Reunion using 1.43 I always picked Superlemmini as the choice to use to open the levels. That's why I've added them. Also when you pick Superlemmini as the choice to
open the levels they will be larger in size (horizontally and verically) than neolemmix's
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 04:16:59 AM by ericderkovits »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 04:17:31 AM »
Yea, for future levels your dropbox upload will be convenient. As for why it crashes, I'm thinking it's due to how it's the oldest NL editor version, as it is very out-of-date and no longer being supported or updated for compatibility issues, and so crashes will happen unexpectedly and randomly. The NL v1.43 player is the exact same way, with its super clunky controls compared to the more modern and up-to-date NL players, and the biggest reason why it has turned many members off and prevented them from completing Lemmicks, for example. Granted, even the most recent NL editor has problems, but they aren't anywhere near as severe as problems that might pop up from time to time with the v1.43 editor.

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 04:22:24 AM »
Glad that you got it working! :) I will for sure take a look at your levels soon. eric knows that I'm more well-known for playing and solving levels, as he considers me one of the really good solvers because he knows how I have played and completed so many level packs. 

Thank you! :thumbsup: If you are interested to try my levels , in this thread , you will find whatever I will make for Superlemmini , in the last two pages of the "Lemmix level pack topic" , I have my works for Lemmix , and in the "Neolemmix levels/In development" board , I have the "Levels by Turrican" thread, where I have my Neolemmix levels!

I only make single levels ( I won't make any levelpack ) , so whatever lever , I will make for each of these three engines , it will go to these threads!

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 04:26:12 AM »
Thank you! :thumbsup: If you are interested to try my levels , in this thread , you will find whatever I will make for Superlemmini , in the last two pages of the "Lemmix level pack topic" , I have my works for Lemmix , and in the "Neolemmix levels/In development" board , I have the "Levels by Turrican" thread, where I have my Neolemmix levels!

I only make single levels ( I won't make any levelpack ) , so whatever lever , I will make for each of these three engines , it will go to these threads!

Sounds good! :) I will likely be in the same boat making just levels and not level packs. I'm much better at playing and solving and so I'll let my talents shine on that front instead ;)