Author Topic: [BUG][EDITOR] Background not updated when loading a level of the same size  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Found in latest stable; did not test in latest experimental.

Updated OP with more accurate steps.

To replicate:

1) Load or create any level.
2) Load a level that is the same size as the current level, but has a different background.

Result: The background from the first level will be shown. This is purely visual and only affects the editor: the correct background will be shown in the player, and if the second level is re-saved, it will keep its original background (unless you change it yourself, of course). This only happens the second level is loaded; a new level will not be affected, even if the first level is the default size.

This size requirement means that in a fresh editor session, you can't properly display the background of a default-sized level with a background other than the default solid black without first taking other actions, such as resizing the default blank level, loading another level (of different size) first, or manually selecting the correct background.

The earlier report had some incorrect observations as a result of the at-the-time unknown size requirement.

Old report (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:11:58 PM by Dullstar »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Okay so, it seems to be quite inconsistent as to whether or not this occurs, but I seem to have found steps that consistently reproduce it for me - and have confirmed it still happens in V1.25 (the experimental).

If I create a new Marble level, and first select the background, then add two terrain pieces, then an object, and then open "Just Walk" from LPI, it seems to consistently trigger this issue. This is the only sequence of steps, so far, that has managed to reproduce the issue for me - including that opening other Dirt levels doesn't seem to trigger it.

EDIT: Okay, I think I've found the key detail that was missing. There is an additional requirement for this bug to trigger: The level with the background, and the level that you load, must be the same size (or at least the same width - haven't tested differing heights yet). EDIT 2: Yes, it applies to height as well. Expected as much, but always good to test.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 07:52:53 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Okay, I think I've found the key detail that was missing. There is an additional requirement for this bug to trigger: The level with the background, and the level that you load, must be the same size (or at least the same width - haven't tested differing heights yet). EDIT 2: Yes, it applies to height as well. Expected as much, but always good to test.

That would explain how I missed this detail: when I first create a level, I start by resizing it to the largest size that fits my screen without scrolling (1920x1080, low-res mode, 5x zoom, so a level size of 384x184), then expand as needed. Thus, 384x184 is the most common size among my levels.

One of those levels (using L3 Biolab) had a background image - this level hasn't been released anywhere. The other test levels have been released - Barrier Bypass (orig_crystal), Shimmier Sort (orig_marble) and Athletic Rescue Operation (L2 Sports). Further testing shows that the size difference, not the background difference, is the cause - of these 4 levels, Shimmier Sort, Barrier Bypass, and the L3 Biolab level are all 384x184. If I create a 384x184 L2 Sports level, it behaves just like the Marble background image.

I've updated the OP and thread title.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:03:42 PM by Dullstar »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I haven't at any point explicitly fixed this, but it appears that other changes have caused this bug to disappear in the latest code (haven't tested current stable release to see if the same is true there).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)