Author Topic: [EXPERIMENTAL] Editor V1.25 - Piece grouping; New parsing code  (Read 1697 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Okay so, I've often mentioned the reason terrain grouping is missing in NL is because the editor's file parsing code is written in a way that could lead to it being unable to load perfectly-valid level files that use terrain grouping, depending on how they're structured.

I've finally gotten around to writing new file parsing code for it that averts this, and as such, been able to enable terrain grouping (the underlying functionality of which has been there for ages - it's just loading and saving that was missing).

However, as this is a very major change - and I don't know how well-tested the grouping feature is (although it's Nepster's code, so I'd guess probably pretty well tested) - I feel an experimental build is a must here.

So - here you go. If you want to try out piece grouping, or just help test in general, download this editor. Save often, and be prepared for the risk of data loss. If a file does seem to have data loss when you load it, try loading it in the old editor or in NL - if it works fine there, it could be a bug in the new version's loading code.

Download: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=429

If an existing level isn't loading properly, run it through Cleanse Levels. When writing the new level parsing code, I have not bothered to maintain backwards compatibility for pre-V12.7 NXLV keywords. So, any levels that predate this won't open.

And to be clear - you do NOT need a new version of NeoLemmix to go with this. NeoLemmix itself has supported piece grouping for a while now - it just never had the corresponding editor support. Use this experimental editor together with the current stable version of NeoLemmix.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [EXPERIMENTAL] Editor V1.25 - Piece grouping; New parsing code
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 07:10:34 AM »
To those wondering what piece grouping is: it basically means you can select a few terrain pieces in the editor, "group" them, and they now act as a single piece. This can be useful when you've created a complex structure out of smaller pieces, and want to ensure it's only moved as a large group, not as individual components. It can also be useful when trying to do particularly tricky stuff with erasers.

Note that a piece group cannot mix steel and non-steel (but erasers are exempt from this rule). It must be either all steel, or all non-steel. Similarly, it won't become a mix of one-way-capable and not-one-way-capable terrain - there's only a single one-way flag for the whole group. Keep these limitations in mind.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [EXPERIMENTAL] Editor V1.25 - Piece grouping; New parsing code
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 09:44:02 PM »
Has anyone had issues with this version?
My Lemmings projects