Author Topic: Lemmings official whatever  (Read 6952 times)

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
Lemmings official whatever
« on: January 31, 2006, 01:34:39 AM »
My English teacher wouldn't let me make a persuasive essay on what a good Lemmings level was because there were no "authoritative sources" on it, like a professor.  I thought that was the dumbest thing ever.  An actual lemmings player and level designer/critic would be a perfectly good source, certainly better than a professor.  I think we have some excellent designers right here.  I think maybe we should 'certify' people to be official experts on Lemming level designing, solving, and or critiquing.  There should be certain requirements for a certified Lemmings expert, such as a certain number of levels produced that got good reviews, or if you want to be a critic a certain number of level reviews written.  So, I'm writing this all to ask, should we do this, and if we should, what should the requirements be?

I think a solver should have to have beat the all the original Lemmings levels and a certain number of difficult player's packs.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings official whatever
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 02:00:54 AM »
LOL ;D.  Come on, just accept the fact that English teachers are lame and move on.

How about just making a persuasive essay on why Lemmings is a great game?  At least you'd be sure to find a bunch of reviews from game magazines of the time that should hopefully serve as "authoritative sources".  Then again, maybe not, if only professors were to qualify as "authoritative".

Doesn't this scream for a persuasive essay on why English teachers are lame? ;)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 02:04:16 AM »
To be sure, I'm not against discussing "requirements for a certified Lemmings expert".  But I think most people here will feel that being actually called a "certified expert in Lemmings level design" to feel rather a bit too pompous. ;)

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 02:18:28 AM »
I already agree that most English teachers are bleh (although as people they're not bad, the way they think drives me up a wall).  I just got really ticked off this time.  Really.

My English teacher right now is pretty good.  Nothing bad this year...until now  Xp.

You know if she goes here I might be in a bad position.  Bah.  She might just laugh.  At the same time...Hrm.  Makes me wonder if I should really post this.  Sure why not?

But, the name I said for the expert thing doesn't have to reflect the position.  It's more just supposed to mean "This person is reliable for getting help from on something" or whatever.  We could just call someone a Lemming X (X = reviewer, designer, etc.).  That doesn't sound too bad does it?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 02:39:00 AM »
You really think your teacher will come to this forum...?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 03:41:08 AM »
I doubt your English teacher would regard this website any more highly than (s)he regards your idea of writing an essay about Lemmings levels.  Especially when just about everyone here's probably young enough to be his/her son.

Just pick something more dull and academic and get on with it.  But, do feel free to write in your spare time the persuasive essay about lemmings levels and post it here!

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 07:23:07 AM »
My English teacher wouldn't let me make a persuasive essay on what a good Lemmings level was because there were no "authoritative sources" on it, like a professor.

I disagree  :)

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 11:27:14 AM »
Quote from: Mike link=1138671279/0#6 date=1138692187
My English teacher wouldn't let me make a persuasive essay on what a good Lemmings level was because there were no "authoritative sources" on it, like a professor.

I disagree &#A0;:)

That's what I thought.  After all, who are we all here?  Are we not good sources?

Well, I gave up the topic as soon as I brought it into the open ccexplore.  Oh, and no I really doubt that she'll come here.  Of course the weirdest things in the world happen sometimes and the unexpected gets you in trouble.  That's happened before.  I'm really not too worried though.  I posted the message after all didn't I? ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 08:19:25 PM »
On the subject of this, I could possibly qualify as a level designer, but I'm not very good at solving or anything.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Jazzem

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 08:35:44 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1138671279/0#1 date=1138672854
LOL ;D.  Come on, just accept the fact that English teachers are lame and move on.

You'd go back on that if you ever met my English teacher. Yesterday's lesson started off with him sitting at the front of the class, blinds closed et al and a lit birthday candle in his hand, speaking in a ghost tale voice...About how yelling out "BOO!" in a lesson caused a girl to wet herself ;D

He's still great at teaching though, and uber friendly. He's letting us take coursewok home to finish that was meant to be fully supervised!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 09:12:01 PM »
Well, I was mostly exaggerating.  Teachers come in all shapes and sizes.

And to be fair, I don't really think Tim's teacher was being too unreasonable.  I recently got a little into Wikipedia.  One of Wikipedia's tenants was regarding verifiability, and the need for reputable sources.  It is indeed a good debate what constitutes a "reputable" source for subject matter that are esoteric and not academic enough to raise "serious" interest, like Lemmings level designing.

Then again, just because a subject matter receives academic attention doesn't necessarily mean much.  I forgot the names of people involved, but one time (within past 5 years) someone published a nonsense article in some philosophy or sociology journal or the like.  The journal uses all sorts of "buzzwords" on the subject to create an impression of validity but is actually incoherent as a whole.  It apparently managed to get accepted by the journal.  I don't remember though how reputable and how much peer reviewing the journal does.