Author Topic: Issues with Custlemmix  (Read 4940 times)

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
Issues with Custlemmix
« on: April 22, 2020, 09:34:13 PM »
Hi! Recently , I have posted some levels in the ''Lemmix level pack topic" . Some of these have issues in Custlemmix ( owws and water appear misplaced ) . In the ''playtest mode'' of the old Lemmix editor (where I usually play Lemmix levels ) , they appear in their normal position ( as shown in the pictures , I have posted ). For two of my levels ( ''The Crystal Coves'' and ''Now you're stuck (part2)" ) , I had promised when I posted them , that the following days , I will try to release fixed versions of them. So I tried to fix them today , starting with  ''The Crystal Coves''. I fixed easily the water, but I couldn't get the position of the owws right. So I gave up for today.

This is not a large issue for my levels , because it's only aesthetic ( Their gameplay and solutions are not affected ) , but for other levels , it may cause problems in their gameplay . One example is ''Mont Blanc Tunnel" by Clam ( In the Clamspam04 pack ) . That level is impossible in Custlemmix.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also one thing that didn't help , is that I have the "search for lvl files" option on , but for some reason , the program allows me to serch , only for dat files , something that makes playtesting levels in Custlemmix after small changes , difficult.

My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Issues with Custlemmix
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 03:57:09 AM »
If you're interested in Lemmix as a custom content platform (although be advised that this will likely severely limit your audience, as most players these days stick to either NeoLemmix and/or Lix, and occasionally SuperLemmini), your best bet would be to talk to EricLang regarding his new version of Lemmix that he's working on. CustLemmix has not been supported for a very long time now.

CustLemmix (and other Lemmix variants updated by me) did fix a few inaccuracies Lemmix had compared to DOS. It's worth checking how the levels in question behave under DOS (ie: using DOS CustLemm, or one of the official games), to rule out the possibility that the bug is in fact in the old Lemmix editor.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 10:57:47 AM »
Have you run the "Validate Level" command in the "Tools" menu in the old Lemmix editor?  There are certain things like non-multiples-of-8 x-positions for objects, and other cases with objects (x,y) very out of bounds, that might be tolerated by Lemmix editor but definitely less so by the original game engines (eg. Customized Lemmings in DOS).  It's unclear how CustLemmix might handle those cases.

Try to see if you still run into problems after addressing all the issues found by "Validate Level".

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 07:23:20 PM »
Have you run the "Validate Level" command in the "Tools" menu in the old Lemmix editor?  There are certain things like non-multiples-of-8 x-positions for objects, and other cases with objects (x,y) very out of bounds, that might be tolerated by Lemmix editor but definitely less so by the original game engines (eg. Customized Lemmings in DOS).  It's unclear how CustLemmix might handle those cases.

Try to see if you still run into problems after addressing all the issues found by "Validate Level".

Thank you for your advice! :thumbsup:

I checked both levels with the "Validate Level" tool , and for every affected object , it gives me the message  that "the object is not a multiply of 8" , so it is obvious that it has to do with the x positions of the objects , not being a multiply of 8. Now that I know what causes the problem , I will see what can I do to fix it.
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 10:28:39 PM »

Thank you for your advice! :thumbsup:

I checked both levels with the "Validate Level" tool , and for every affected object , it gives me the message  that "the object is not a multiply of 8" , so it is obvious that it has to do with the x positions of the objects , not being a multiply of 8. Now that I know what causes the problem , I will see what can I do to fix it.

Then this is definitely the issue. Lemmix (outside of the versions updated by ccx and myself) did not enforce the "object X coordinates must be divisible by 8" restriction that DOS has; CustLemmix is such an updated version and does enforce it. You'd see the same issue you're seeing with CustLemmix, under actual DOS, too.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)