Author Topic: Trouble loading level packs  (Read 2019 times)

Offline BrokenAce

• View Profile
Trouble loading level packs
« on: March 01, 2020, 05:27:10 PM »
I'm new to NeoLemmix and I'm having problems loading a level pack. Despite following Nepster's manual to a T, whenever I try opening an nxp file with the NeoLemmix player it just spits out an error message and loads up the "no pack" screen.

Just to clarify, the pack I'm trying to load is the NeoLemmix Introduction Pack. Does the pack have to go in a specific folder? And if so, which one? ???

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble loading level packs
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 05:38:49 PM »
Welcome! :)

Which introduction pack are you trying to load in?

The current up-to-date one is still in development, but it should still be very helpful to you. Here is the link: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4332.0

Which manual are you using?

I think you got the very outdated one that Nepster wrote a while back. So quite a few things are not as described there.

NXP packs are an outdated old format. If you are using an up-to-date NeoLemmix player you can simply extract new format packs inside to be inside the "levels" folder. The introduction pack I linked above is such a new format pack.
The folder structure should be the following then: NeoLemmix/levels/insert_Packfolder_name_here

Single nxlv levels can also be placed inside folders inside the "levels" folder.

Heopefully this helps you out a bit. ;)

Offline BrokenAce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 05:51:20 PM »
I downloaded/unzip'd the updated pack and put it in the levels folder; it now works completely fine. :D
Thanks so much for the help and info. I'll try to make tutorials I use in future are more up-to-date.

Offline BrokenAce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 06:17:03 PM »
Scratch that, It's still not working correctly.
On the level preview for Objects & Functions 1, it displayed untextured objects and shot up an error message about missing styles. Shouldn't those styles be included in the level pack? And if not, how do am I supposed to access them? ???

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 06:22:01 PM »
There's three ways you can download the styles:

1. Use the in-game Styles Manager (you'll need to enable Online Features in settings first). You can get to this via the settings menu; F3 on the title screen. If you've encountered a "missing styles" error during your current session, the relevant styles will be brought to the top of the list if they're available. Also - if Online Features is enabled, NL will directly prompt you to go to the Styles Manager every time a missing style issue is encountered.

2. You can manually download any style at: https://www.neolemmix.com/styles/12.8/(style name here).zip

3. You can download all styles at once with this ZIP: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=393 - note that while the all-styles download is completely up-to-date at the moment, in general it is possible that it might be up to a month out of date at any given time.

Styles are usually not included with packs because the vast majority of styles are used by multiple packs, and it would inflate the download size (as well as create confusion around which pack has the most up-to-date version of the style) if packs always included them. They're not included in the main NL download (outside of the official L1 / ONML ones) because this would hugely inflate the filesize - while 60MB total isn't too big a deal for downloading these days, several users have also reported that on weaker PCs the all-styles ZIP takes a very long time to extract.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 06:58:44 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline BrokenAce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 06:40:24 PM »
Ah, right. Well it's good to know I can include custom graphics in my own pack if I want to in future.
Thanks again for the help, it all works fine now with the new assets downloaded :thumbsup: