Author Topic: a question including lemmings and German  (Read 6761 times)

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
a question including lemmings and German
« on: December 11, 2005, 03:53:48 AM »
Andi, I've recently learned that "Ach nein! Bogenshootzen" (I am almost sure that I spelled that wrong.) means "Oh no! Archers!". Does this mean that the German version of lemmings has the lemmings say "ach nein!" before they explode?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: a question including lemmings and German
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 03:43:43 PM »
In my opinion "ach" doesn't express the "oh" correctly in this case. I'd prefer simply "Oh nein!".
And yes, you're right, "Bogensch&#FC;tzen" is spelled wrong indeed. ;)

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 05:47:16 PM »
Quote from: geoo89 link=1134273228/0#1 date=1134315823
In my opinion "ach" doesn't express the "oh" correctly in this case. I'd prefer simply "Oh nein!".
And yes, you're right, "Bogensch&#FC;tzen" is spelled wrong indeed. ;)

;Dthanks, it makes sense now. also, you said Ach nein didn't fit the sentence correctly, does that mean that Ach nein! and Ach nein can mean different things? what is the direct translation for "ach" ?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 08:19:22 PM »
I'd actually say it would neither fit in the case "Oh no! Archers!", but firstly I don't know the exact emphasis, i.e. how it is exactly meant, and secondly my English isn't perfect either.
I think defining the meanings of "Ach nein(!)" is quite difficult because its use depends on the region. In my region I actually know four uses (I write it in slang here): "Ach nee.", and three times "Och n&#F6;!".
First is meant ironically, you use it when someone tells you a fact of which (s)he thinks it would be new to you and important, but for you it's obviously known already. You actually laugh at this person that way.
Second is used if you're asked "Do you want...?" but you actually don't (or don't need), no complete rejection, but you just don't need the offer or whatever it is.
Third can be used when playing lemmings ;): You're almost done with a level but you screw up at the very end, then you shout out "Och n&#F6;!" stressing the "N&#F6;".
Last use is if don't want but have to do something. You say "Och n&#F6;!" and do it unwillingly.
Note that all are stressed differently, you'd need to hear them to find out how to pronounce them exactly, if you use one with a wrong pronounciation it's very likely to come out wrong.

A direct translation for "ach"...ummm....it's an interjection and can be used differently. My dictionary says "oh", but it highly depends on the situation you use it. Another option is *sigh*, actually the only way I use it.

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 01:11:55 AM »
Interesting...
"Learn german, Learn 56 different ways to say "the""

Too many repeats!

In english, There is only one, Oh No! it can mean any of the ones above depending on how you say it. Sigh? so the lemmings might just say sigh?...intriguing...another question, what is Laufen?

Andi

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 12:11:38 AM »
Laufen is in my dictionary translated as run. But it's not the same as rennen which also means run. Laufen is a state between running and walking. I guess you get what is meant by the context.
Hm... can someone explain it better? I guess my explanation is more confusing than helping or wrong. Or both. xD

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 03:58:10 AM »
Well, I'm in German 2 this year, and we learned laufen, joggen, and rennen last year (although rennen was learned in a weird way), and this is what I got out of it.

-Laufen: between jogging and sprinting.
-rennen: sprinting
-joggen: jogging (...duh).

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 04:29:26 PM »
Quote from: Andi link=1134273228/0#5 date=1136592698
Laufen is in my dictionary translated as run. But it's not the same as rennen which also means run. Laufen is a state between running and walking. I guess you get what is meant by the context.
Hm... can someone explain it better? I guess my explanation is more confusing than helping or wrong. Or both. xD
Well, I do agree with you. I couldn't explain it better. :)

[...]In english, There is only one, Oh No! it can mean any of the ones above depending on how you say it. Sigh? so the lemmings might just say sigh?...intriguing...another question, what is Laufen?
Well, the "Ach nee" and "Och n&#F6;" are actually using the same words, "ach" and "nein". It's just that in my region they're said diffrently to express the different meanings. In standard German language they'd all be called "Ach nein", but most people speak slang... Of course it also depends of the situation you use them.

I wonder what makes you say the lemmings saying "sigh"? I've never heard a lemming saying just "Ach". ;)
Just "Ach" is expressing *sigh* IMO, but "Ach nein" = "Oh no".

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 06:15:32 PM »
My dicionary say's laufen is run, or to walk...wierd. so isn't it basically to move? I asked Timballisto awhile ago and he said it was command form of ring...
 :-/??!??!!?!! :-?

What's teletype do?blah blah blah, this is typing so i can figure out what this does

:)highlight this guy to make him look to his left

Are there english classes in Germany? I know there have to be but it just sounds wierd even though I'm in an english class. We have english classes but someone decided to call them Language arts. ::) :-? :P