Author Topic: Access Violation on Startup  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Valientlink

• View Profile
Access Violation on Startup
« on: November 20, 2019, 01:44:06 PM »
Hello, new to the forum, but have been an on and off Lemmings fanatic for a long time. Some of you might recognize me from awhile back, I've got quite a few custom level vids on YT.

So I'm getting an access violation trying to start a level (original pack). I remember back when it was just Lemmix, I had no issues, so I'm not sure if it's possible to obtain the old, pre-Neo versions. Unfortunately I seem to have lost mine. I'm using windows 8.1 so I wouldn't be surprised if this is just win8 being bad.

Thanks!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Access Violation on Startup
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 02:33:12 PM »
You need to download and extract the styles zip file into the same folder where the NeoLemmix EXE file resides.  You should end up with subfolders "sound" and "styles" under the NeoLemmix folder.

Offline Valientlink

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 03:01:18 PM »
Where can I find said "styles" zip file? Might be under my nose but I don't see anything on the site.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 04:17:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum. :)

What exactly did you download? ??? So that we can make sure what you have got right now.

Normally the installer here should give you anything you need: https://www.neolemmix.com/

If you want to do it manually, you need to get the player+styles from this site and set it up as ccexplore said.: https://www.neolemmix.com/?page=neolemmix

Offline Valientlink

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 08:32:33 PM »
I've had issues with the installer freezing, but I seem to have got it now. The only problem is that extracting "styles" into my Lemmix folder did not give me a sound folder, so there is no sound (just music). Some of the features also seem to be broken like fast forward and such, but maybe I'm misunderstanding how it works. I just click the -> arrow that I would assume is fast foward but nothing happens. Impressed otherwise with the changes I notice from old Lemmix.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 08:33:53 PM »
I've had issues with the installer freezing, but I seem to have got it now. The only problem is that extracting "styles" into my Lemmix folder did not give me a sound folder, so there is no sound (just music). Some of the features also seem to be broken like fast forward and such, but maybe I'm misunderstanding how it works. I just click the -> arrow that I would assume is fast foward but nothing happens. Impressed otherwise with the changes I notice from old Lemmix.

You definitely should have gotten a sound folder when extracting styles.

I've noticed several people mention they have issues when extracting the latest styles download. Can I ask what software you're using to extract it?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 03:11:34 AM »
For what it's worth, I didn't have any issues updating, which I did a couple days ago. I didn't use the installer, but I effectively made a fresh install then copied over settings and levels.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 07:08:14 AM »
The installer looks like it freezes, but it runs well, it merely shows no feedback about what it's doing. The installer downloads and extracts several archives. Give it a few minutes!

At least it was like this 2 years ago. If nobody has worked on the installer since, then yes, this problem hampers entry into the culture.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 07:34:30 AM »
The installer looks like it freezes, but it runs well, it merely shows no feedback about what it's doing. The installer downloads and extracts several archives. Give it a few minutes!

At least it was like this 2 years ago. If nobody has worked on the installer since, then yes, this problem hampers entry into the culture.

-- Simon

The new installer is a bit better during downloading - it shows progress, though still doesn't respond to user input. IIRC, it shows no feedback during extraction.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)