Author Topic: Perseveration - when continuing the same approach to a solution is wrong  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
My level "Check mate" from Pit Lems was considered the hardest level in the pack by nin10doadict when he let's-played it. Nevertheless, the level has remained in a comparatively low position, early in the third of five ranks, because it had one decisive facilitating thing going on: Once you had worked out a particular approach, you could just continue repeating that approach across the entire map to solve the level.

Check mate (Pit Lems, WTF 04)

In contrast, I have just finished creating a level where, after having identified a certain approach, this will get you somewhere - but continuing with this same strategy all the way to the end will cause the level to fail.

This inability to switch strategies and continuing with the old one is also known in psychology as perseveration.

Here is the level in question (replay included in the attachment).

The bee

Solution (click to show/hide)

I've explained the solution in the spoiler above, because I'm not certain whether this level is 100% proof at enforcing this yet. That's why I've provided the replay.

I'm pretty sure there are other custom levels also using this strategy to lead the player astray. Can you name any? ;)

Also, maybe our Finnish users might understand the reference this level is making. ;) After all, it's about someone whose name is very closely related to Lemmings...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 09:40:42 AM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels