Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] NeoLemmix Introduction Pack  (Read 29397 times)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] NeoLemmix Introduction Pack
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2020, 02:27:20 AM »
That's quite surprising, because I thought BT1 17 was really easy. Just do exactly what the pre-text says and you'll see how very easy it is.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2020, 04:21:35 PM »
Ok, as uberwolfie and mantha may have some more feedback I push the patch preperations to probably next weekend.

I am also a bit surprised that BT1 17 causes some troubles. Try to use the trick stated in the pretext whereever you can and you should be fine in theory.

Maybe all you need is a little distance and next time the solution flows to you. :)

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2020, 04:05:53 AM »
as i went to type why I couldnt do it I think Ive just figured it out be right back

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2020, 04:13:37 AM »
yeah i figured it out I was mining in the wrong place

Offline uberwolfie

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2020, 12:24:16 PM »
Hi Icho :)
Did you mean next weekend as in September 19th? I've played the latest update up to the Advanced Training rank (and enjoying it!) would be happy to try and make it to the end during this week and give you what few thoughts I do have.
But if you wanted to get started on the update sooner, obviously you have plenty of more qualified feedback already.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2020, 06:02:47 PM »
Hi Icho :)
Did you mean next weekend as in September 19th? I've played the latest update up to the Advanced Training rank (and enjoying it!) would be happy to try and make it to the end during this week and give you what few thoughts I do have.
But if you wanted to get started on the update sooner, obviously you have plenty of more qualified feedback already.

Originally this weekend, but there is no rush here so I will wait for your comments. :)

Offline uberwolfie

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2020, 10:36:03 PM »
:D
In which case I'll try not to keep you waiting much longer!

Offline uberwolfie

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2020, 05:36:05 AM »
Here's my feedback on the latest patch! Have to say, it really was a lot of fun to play through, and learn all these new tricks, which I'm sure I'll be using on your other packs at some point! And it was exactly what I was looking for in terms of becoming familiar with all the NeoLemmix features.

I've glanced at the feedback others have given, particularly kaywhyn on the latest update, but haven't studied this thread extensively from the beginning so please forgive me if I've brought up anything someone else already mentioned or something that was already discussed and decided upon at an earlier point. Also, You've got lots of feedback on the pre-level texts, I've limited myself mostly to pointing out only very obvious errors.
I've zipped up all my replays, but note that only the ones with the later date are relevant to the current version (don't know if there's an easy way to separate them…)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2020, 06:36:40 AM »
Hey uber, congrats on finishing the pack for the time being, since it's still being expanded and in development. This was a pack that I forgot to list as a recommendation, and one that I would recommend to anyone, regardless of whether the person is new or not to NL. Some remarks on your feedback:

Objects and Functions 5: Yes, there is! When you cursor over a trap and then activate CPM, it'll say one of two things, trap with an infinity symbol next to it, or the number 1. The former are continuous traps that will continue to kill lemmings, while the latter will activate once and then won't ever work again after that. The interesting thing is that when I read your question about that, I thought there wasn't a way with CPM either, but I never ever noticed the trap label differences in CPM before. Now I know too!

Objects and Functions 7: Do you mean how to select a lemming that currently isn't performing a skill? That would be the Ctrl key. Also, this assumes that you chose the traditional layout when you ran NL for the very first time. If you didn't, you can change it via the F3 key in the main menu. You have 3 choices of layouts. I'm not sure what the keys for the other two are, since I have always used the traditional one.

Objects and Functions 15: See above for Objects and Functions 7. Regarding customizing the keys, I'm not sure how to do that.

BT 1 6: Wow, that's a nice solution going to the left! :thumbsup:

BT 1 17: The level's very open-ended, so it's perfectly fine to have plenty of skills leftover. As a matter of fact, it's possible to simply do the level with only one worker lemming!

AT 9: Just for saving time and not have to wait for the worker lemming to turn around. It's optional.

AT 14: Nice, exact same solution as mine! Great minds think alike ;)

Regarding AT 19:

All your other feedback I'll let Icho address them. He's more than welcome to expand on some of the comments that I already made on some of the levels above.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2020, 07:29:23 AM »
Seems like I've got work to do next weekend. :)

14: A Different Kind of Space:

Well it seems like you both found the same backroute. :XD:   I will fix it up and in the process direct the player more into the right direction.

Also, forgive my ignorance, but in clear physics mode, is it possible to see which traps are single-use vs. permanent, or is it just a matter of trial and error?

Yes, it should display it.

But anyway, I'll read through everything when I get to fixing. ;)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 07:43:24 AM by IchoTolot »

Offline uberwolfie

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2020, 08:18:42 AM »
Thanks both of you, it's nice to know these things now :thumbsup:

AT 14: Swag! 8-)

AT 19:

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2020, 08:56:56 AM »
Ah, I see. It depends on how thick the wall is to begin with. If it's not as high, then other basher cancelling positions will work too. Both the least amount of terrain removed and the next stroke after that will both work. The one absolute must is that the basher has to be interrupted midstroke. If it completes the entire stroke, therefore leaving a vertical strip of wall, then there's no step for the lemmings to be able to step up, and so they'll simply turn around when they hit the wall. You can easily test this on Tame 1 of ONML. Have a climber dig down the first brick wall when it gets to the top, then bash so that a lemming who bashes the wall at ground level only a bit of ceiling will be left above him. Then you'll see other basher positions will still work for lemmings to step up when it is interrupted midstroke.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2020, 01:42:58 PM »
V 0.19 is out!

Added a logo and rank signs made by zanzindorf! :thumbsup:

Backroute fixes based on the replays by kaywhyn and uberwolfie:

1 05 (Thinner platforms at the start)

2 11 (Added an acid pit)
2 15 (removed a chain, added a flamer)

3 06 (added a terrain ramp so that the trap is reachable from both sides)
3 16 (-1 builder, -1 platformer, added saws to make acutally using the updraft more appealing)

4 06 (-1 basher)

5 07 (adusted the whole solution, +1 save requirement, the glider is now a pick-up, switched up the other pick-ups)
5 14 (-1 walker, the other walker is now a pick-up, -1 save requirement)
5 16 (removed the overhangs inside the structures)
5 21 (lowered the starting ramp by 4 pixels)

Also, a ton of pre-text changes!

Some comments:

Leftover skills are often 100% intended here simply to give leeway or allow an alternative route. Not always though.

Highliting a lemming is really just the right-click for me and I am not familar with a setting that requires control as well. Maybe you need to ask namida there and inform me if there is indeed such a setting.

There are quite often more interesting scenarios to certain behaviors, but quite often those are also reaching either above the scope of the lesson or are dangerously close to redundancy.

Beginning with Basic Training there are levels without text that serve just as training with no new lessons. Repetition is key to learning! Also here levels can start to be a bit more precise in terms of placement and timing. This is a part of many custom levels and I want to force the player at least a few times to rely on this.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2020, 02:45:21 PM »
Wow, I'm really digging the new logo and rank signs! Nice job, zanzindorf! :thumbsup:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2020, 06:09:22 PM »
If there is nothing else to point out I will soon prepare a 1.0 version then. Yes, if there is another skill/object coming it will still need some changes, but other than that it should be good to go.