Author Topic: WinLemEdit  (Read 8369 times)

Pheee

WinLemEdit
« on: November 08, 2005, 07:57:01 PM »
Hey Everyone,

i have been in the process of writing a lemmings level editor in windows using c#, its aim was to be a drag and drop editor. i have a basis, but stopped developing it due to the images, I could take screen shots of every object using lemEdit, but I cant distribute them with the editor, so best way is to read the files, meaning no copyright problem, cause you have to own the game to use the editor.

Ok I just need some help reading the sprites and graphics etc, maybe someone wants to help out, project is on source forge.

Just wondered what people know or think etc.

Let me know here.

JM

Re: WinLemEdit
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 08:01:31 PM »
I've always wanted a windows version of Lemedit  :P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 08:49:13 PM »
Quote from: Pheee link=1131479821/0#0 date=1131479821
Ok I just need some help reading the sprites and graphics etc, maybe someone wants to help out, project is on source forge.
I don't know enough about the specifics of Windows programming in C# to help, but the relevant info on extracting graphics had been posted on this board somewhere under General Discussion. &#A0;In fact, we have figured out how to extract both the high-resolution graphics from WinLemm and the standard-resolution graphics (including graphics for the 4 so-called "special graphics levels") for DOS Lemmings/ONML, so you can even support both.

When I have time I'll search for the threads that have the info. &#A0;You can also e-mail or PM Mindless.

A Windows version of LemEdit would be awesome, I've been wanting to ditch that dinky LemEdit for such a long time. ;) ;D

JM

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 08:55:59 PM »
A windows version of Lemedit would be excellent  8-)

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 11:36:35 PM »
104 An Error Has Occurred!: Unable to open 1123282272.txt
:'(
0xdeadbeef (Ex Member)
:o

Err...
/me looks back in archives: Lemmings Sprite Format

Pheee

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 05:26:11 PM »
does any one have any code examples for these sprite files, 0xdeadbeef said in those posts he did a prog in java.

would help me tremendously to get this going.

JM

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 12:55:28 PM »
Is the WinLemedit program still being worked on may I ask kindly?

Pheee

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 09:57:27 AM »
Yes it is still being worked on, currently there is only myself...

its on sourceforge.net, as WinLemEdit.

It stopped because of the graphics problem, copyright etc.

I am also open to people joining to get this up and running faster.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 10:25:18 PM »
Quote from: Pheee link=1131479821/0#5 date=1131643571
does any one have any code examples for these sprite files
Code: [Select]
!! Outdated !!
Thanks to some help from mjs over at the FreeBASIC forums.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 02:21:01 AM »
Slight modifications to code, plus compiled version: http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/_misc/sprtest.zip

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 07:38:41 PM »
I could help out with Java code (quick hack, more or less undocumented and not too pretty) if someone's still interested...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 09:13:46 PM »
I think Pheee is looking for C#. &#A0;Unfortunately there is no interop support for Java in C# as far as I am aware.

I'm under the impression he kinda just want someone to do this particular piece of work (of loading graphics from the original game) for him. &#A0;Of course, most of us are too lazy for that--if we are any less lazy, WinLemEdit would probably already have been written by one of us well before Pheee arrived.

I would think that with 0xdeadbeef's descriptions, and sample code from Mindless etc, and some trial and error + Q&A with us, that should be enough for someone sufficiently motivated to get started.

In any case, the least Pheee can do is to explain how the graphics are to be stored and manipulated internally in his program. &#A0;No real code can be written until the desired structure and format of the output is specified. &#A0;I personally know nothing about graphics programming in C# so I can't help, though presumably it probably supports one of the standard formats like BMP, and you can always pInvoke the native Windows API if necessary.

JM

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 09:24:21 PM »
Can somebody give me the link to the download of WinLemedit please?

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 10:58:04 PM »
Quote from: JM link=1131479821/0#12 date=1132694661
Can somebody give me the link to the download of WinLemedit please?
It's not functional yet.

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 05:36:35 PM »
Hm, I could provide Pheee with a fully functional sprite extractor (in Java) which can extract all background tiles as GIFs from the Win95 version. For background tiles, it works 90% percent automatically for each tileset (only some resources like the arrows are saved as one GIF instead of two). It's just that I can't give support for this as I wrote it for me, myself and I. Also if I find time for programming, I'd rather continue with my own project.
Then again providing the resources with the Editor will also infringe Sony's copyright.