Author Topic: Mistake in flopsy_scrapbrain tileset  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Mistake in flopsy_scrapbrain tileset
« on: April 17, 2019, 12:13:01 AM »
I'm currently doing a mass overhaul of all of my tilesets to improve the overall quality of them.

However in doing so, I noticed that the button for Scrap Brain has been mistakenly placed in gronkling_cyber along with the locked exit.

I have no problem with the locked exit being in gronkling_cyber since the exit animation is for the exit from that tileset which I had borrowed for Scrap Brain initially on creation (with permission from gronkling).
GigaLem came along and created an exit exclusively for Scrap Brain and I no longer required the exit from the cyber tileset.

However, the button is actually a tile I made for Scrap Brain and it is in the wrong tileset.
We could move the tile back to Scrap Brain but that would break pretty much every level which uses it and that would break an unknown number of levels. Or we could just allow a duplicate tile in Scrap Brain since the tile was originally intended for that tileset.

I would like to restore the tile to this tileset in this overhaul ideally and I cannot see the harm in having this one exceptional case of where there is one duplicate in 2 tilesets.

I intend on placing this button tile back into the Scrap Brain tileset while allowing this to exist in the cyber tileset, are there any objections to me doing so?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Mistake in flopsy_scrapbrain tileset
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 08:02:09 PM »
My only concern there would be - if one version of the piece gets updated, will the other one receive the update too?

I think - it'd be beneficial for NeoLemmix to have some kind of "redirect" option on pieces, that will cause the player / editor to replace it with a different piece (and the editor not to show it in the piece selection menu, maybe). This way, the one in Gronkling's tileset could be set to just redirect to the one in your tileset - no levels break, NL automatically takes care of it.

This would absolutely need editor-side support though, and currently I'm not involved with the editor. I probably should get around to examining the source code of it at some point - I know a decent amount of C# now, so programming language is no longer an obstacle.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 04:03:49 PM »
Well the piece in question is not meant to be gronkling's tileset anyway so if an update were to occur, it would effectively weed out all the levels using the gronkling_cyber versions of the piece and help people to revert to using the flopsy_scrapbrain version.

While I'm on this subject, during my graphic set overhaul, I am coming across a lot of pieces which would benefit from being in other tilesets as well as their home tileset, however we're not supposed to duplicate pieces and we are effectively resigned to having the piece rest in the first tileset it existed in. However while I respect this, would it be possible to have the editor pull some pieces from other tilesets so it can be displayed in the editor.
Eg. I have an object from Scrap Brain which is a universal object that can be applied to any Sonic tileset, it means I have to always pull these objects from Scrap Brain when I am using any other Sonic tileset in the editor, the editor could just display these objects while working with the other tileset but they are "on loan" from Scrap Brain.
Hope that makes sense anyway.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 08:42:55 PM »
The issue you mention there is one that could also be fixed via the same "piece redirect" type feature (if I'm understanding you correctly).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)