Site Boards > Site Discussion

Site moved to new server

(1/4) > >>

namida:
So, I felt we had somewhat outgrown NearlyFreeSpeech. Nothing against them at all; they were great, but the site has grown to the point where it's more cost-effective to run it on a dedicated VPS than on a hosting service like NearlyFreeSpeech.

I was going to wait for feedback from other staff but... well, y'all know what I'm like with getting things done in a rush. :P

So, yeah. We're live on a new server now! :D

(On a side note, this does mean that further donations should not be made through the old link.)

There might be some more brief downtime over the next few days, due to also transferring the domains to a new registrar (as NFS gets expensive for domains if you aren't hosting with them).

namida:
Should be no more downtime now (except due to DNS propagation issues, maybe). The last bit was while I was tweaking the caching settings, but I think they're spot on now. :)

Simon:
Some (Giga, Yung, Akseli) still have trouble accessing the site.

This is because some domain name servers, your routers, or your machines still have the old resolution of the domain lemmingsforums.net (to nearlyfreespeech) cached (instead of to 142.93.6.137, the host since 2018-08-17).

Domain information has TTL (time-to-live) and that must expire at every node (all DNSs, your router, machine) before you resolve properly. Some nodes (especially routers) might not care about the TTL and cache it for longer than wanted (a few days). Everybody uses different DNSs and routers, therefore everybody has a different time of when lemmingsforums.net resolves to 142.93.6.137 for them as desired.

We could have prevented this by lowering the TTL on lemmingsforums.net, waiting a week, then move the server. But we didn't do that; even I only think of that now, 3 days after the move. Since we didn't lower the TTL in advance, all you can do now is wait. It should work within the next days.

Maybe clearing browser cache helps but I don't believe it.

-- Simon

namida:

--- Quote ---We could have prevented this by lowering the TTL on lemmingsforums.net, waiting a week, then move the server. But we didn't do that; even I only think of that now, 3 days after the move. Since we didn't lower the TTL in advance, all you can do now is wait. It should work within the next days.
--- End quote ---

Most browsers clear DNS cache when you exit.
Try at a command prompt (doesn't need to be run as admin, but might help): ipconfig /flushdns (obviously this is specific to Windows)
Reboot any modems / routers.

IchoTolot:

--- Quote from: namida on August 20, 2018, 09:27:33 AM ---Most browsers clear DNS cache when you exit.
Try at a command prompt (doesn't need to be run as admin, but might help): ipconfig /flushdns (obviously this is specific to Windows)
Reboot any modems / routers.

--- End quote ---

That doesn't work sadly, we tried it. As I understood it, even your provider saves some kind of cache and clearing that can take ~ 3 days. All you can do is to wait there. Manually clearing your cache can help and speed up the process, but it also can do nothing.

Link with more infomation: https://www.siteground.com/kb/what_is_dns_propagation_and_why_it_takes_so_long/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version