Author Topic: CubeGuy  (Read 5981 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
CubeGuy
« on: July 03, 2018, 01:03:23 AM »
CubeGuy is a clone I've made of the puzzle game Block-Man / Blockdude, with the following features:
- Native Windows app, doesn't require DOSBox
- Open-source; should compile for at least Mac and Linux too
- Unlimited undo
- Save / load replays
- Level editor included
- Can import levels from Block-Man (with a bit of work)
- Comes with 5 fairly easy levels

From the Block-Man topic, my general description of Block-Man (edited to reflect graphical differences in CubeGuy):
Basic concept, it's tile-based, and levels consist of basically four elements on any given tile - either bricks (unmovable), a crate (you can pick these up, upon which they'll be carried above your head, you can take them anywhere as long as you have an open tile above you, and you can put them down which will place them on the tile in front of you - if there's already one tile in front of you, you'll place the block on top of it, but you can't stack them higher than 2 tiles high without building a ramp), empty space, or the goal (one per level), and you have to figure out how to move the crates to get to it. With or without a carried crate, you can move one tile in either direction, and you can step up a height of one tile. Usually, you cannot turn around on the spot, but you can if there's a tile behind you that prevents you moving forward, even if it's low enough to step up onto (as "move left/right" and "step up" are different keys). Fairly simple concept (I probably made it sound more complicated than it is), but the puzzles can be quite clever - if a bit tedious at times.

Changelog (click to show/hide)

Download: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am6NTdy4vnPXiUbfDEZ6L9pmnpr6?e=lUOfjo
Source Code: https://bitbucket.org/namida42/cubeguy/

Instructions: Just unzip and run. Use File->Open to open a level. Use the options in "Help" for info on controls and level editing.

To import Block-Man levels:
1. Take a screenshot of the level, in its initial state, using DOSBox
2. Convert the screenshot to BMP
3. Load the BMP file in Cubeguy using File->Import Block-Man 1 Level
4. (Optional) Save the converted level
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 12:30:19 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: CubeGuy
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 08:57:49 PM »
I made another level. This one's a fair bit harder than the pack-in ones (though still easy compared to the late levels in Block-Man). Have fun. I'll upload the replay a bit later. :)

EDIT: It's now included in the V1.04 update download as namida_07.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:58:10 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 12:00:51 AM »
Your level 3 is interesting to me because it can't be completed in my version of Blockdude.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I noticed that you can hold the arrow key to keep moving, which is nice. I also coded mine to climb acceptable stacks automatically if you move toward them, so you never have to use the UP key. If you are next to a stack but not facing it, pressing the arrow towards it will turn to face it and then the next move will move on top; certain narrow areas require this.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 12:22:21 AM »
I based my rules off Block-Man, so if there's any inconsistencies between it and Blockdude, they apply to CubeGuy too.

In particular, regarding carried blocks interacting with terrain, here's a test case level that shows off three different situations. Try:
1. Walking under the first small gap while holding a block.
2. Stepping up into the second small gap while holding a block.
3. (Trying to) step up into the third small gap while holding a block.

These behaviours are all consistent with Block-Man.

An additional edge case from Block-Man that may or may not be the case in Blockdude (but again, CubeGuy replicates Block-Man's behaviour here): A moveable block is not affected by gravity until it has been picked up. (This can happen if it begins the level in midair, but can never arise during a level.) This is in fact the edge-case fixed in the V1.02 update of Cubeguy; as previously, such blocks were always affected by gravity, I noticed this because some of Block-Man's secret levels have blocks that are placed in midair.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 12:45:10 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 03:58:38 AM »
Uploaded update V1.04. Graphical improvements mostly; it also includes two more levels that are both a bit harder than the previous pack-ins (though still fairly easy).

And now V1.05, which fixes a (minor) bug when opening levels, as well as adds zoom functionality, and allows you to choose between the V1.00~V1.03 or V1.04 graphics (as the V1.04 enhancements, while they look nice, could get distracting).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 05:07:36 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 05:29:49 AM »
The last level (11 I believe) of Blockdude does feature blocks that start off floating in midair and revert to normal once picked up.