Author Topic: [Suggestion/s + a possible Bug][Pack Toolkit] "Save" and "Save As"  (Read 1562 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
While doing my tutorial video for the editor, I wanted to add the freshly made level to my test pack. Let's say it was still a bit rocky ;P

First thing:

- I think a simple "Save" function which after a quick confirmation simply saves over the currently opened pack would be a great addition to make things a bit more fluent. The current "Save" is more like a "Save As" as it asks for the directory. Having both "Save" and "Save As" I would call a good feature to have.

The second thing was that the saving still created a few errors and weird saving behaviors that I don't fully understood on the fly. The fact that you choose the NL level folder as the place to save the pack's level folder and not being able to simply select the pack's folder in which to overwrite/write-into feels very weird and to be honest wrong. Also not being able to control the naming with either selecting the pack's folder, or write in the name in the saving process I would call suboptimal and unintuitive as well.

But me explaining things here I wouldn't call to effective, let me show you my confusion/problems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asE8U9eZ_CY&index=1&list=PLKR1N9oJTTlLTZNfvUzr8bGDI21YLNkSk
From 48:00 I tried to overwrite my "United testing" pack with let's say suboptimal results and I think the opening-saving process should be naturally understandable without bigger problems. There was even an actual error message that I couldn't explain why it was appearing when saving over my pack.
It said there were levels/files currently currently being used by a program, while only the pack toolkit was running. The 2nd save succeeded then without the error. So it seems like the first save attempt is a bit buggy.

So hope this live feedback helps a bit with the toolkit and maybe even the editor. :)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [Suggestion/s + a possible Bug][Pack Toolkit] "Save" and "Save As"
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »
- I think a simple "Save" function which after a quick confirmation simply saves over the currently opened pack would be a great addition to make things a bit more fluent. The current "Save" is more like a "Save As" as it asks for the directory. Having both "Save" and "Save As" I would call a good feature to have.
Yes, the "Save" asks for a directory. However it already points to the correct directory to overwrite the old one, if you loaded a previous pack. So the current file browser already acts as a simple confirmation dialog. It just might not be as clear to the user as it could be.

The second thing was that the saving still created a few errors and weird saving behaviors that I don't fully understood on the fly. The fact that you choose the NL level folder as the place to save the pack's level folder and not being able to simply select the pack's folder in which to overwrite/write-into feels very weird and to be honest wrong. Also not being able to control the naming with either selecting the pack's folder, or write in the name in the saving process I would call suboptimal and unintuitive as well.
This has basically two reasons:
1) C# has no proper folder browser, so I have to do lots of nasty stuff code-wise to even get as far as I currently do. This is basically the reason, why you currently cannot control the pack's folder name.
2) I definitely want to avoid, that people save their ranks directly into the "levels" folder, i.e. don't have a pack folder as a subfolder of "levels". This would cause lots of troubles, when they want to find all the files and folders needed for their pack.

I suggest the following changes: When pressing "Save" the file browser opens on the pack folder and from the next version on, you have to select the pack folder to save your pack in (i.e. "NepsterLems" instead of "levels"). To prevent accidentally saving directly into the "levels" folder, I could add a warning pop-up when the user selects "levels" as the save folder.

Comments? Improvements? Better ideas?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 07:04:10 PM »
...from the next version on, you have to select the pack folder to save your pack in (i.e. "NepsterLems" instead of "levels"). To prevent accidentally saving directly into the "levels" folder, I could add a warning pop-up when the user selects "levels" as the save folder.
:thumbsup:
Yes, I think this would be an extremely huge improvement already, at least it seems more intuitive to me and folder management is more in the hands of the user with being able to determine the folder's names instead of the program automatically creating them. ---> Still when creating a new pack it must be clear that the user needs to create an empty folder frst.

If you had the time to take a look at it: Any ideas about the error I'm getting? It doesn't seem critical as the 2nd saving seems to work, still it's kinda worrysome.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 11:56:25 AM »
I added the fix regarding the save path/folder for the next update.

Unfortunately, I still haven't had time to watch the video.