Author Topic: Discord improvements?  (Read 2142 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Discord improvements?
« on: February 27, 2018, 10:45:11 PM »
I think there could be be a few minor improvements on how are channels work there, as when I started (and still) is a bit confusing.;

With the (relatively as of now) low level of activity going on I think there's a few too many channels. For example Dev tribe and Showcase tribe I think could be merged, bugs tribe, imo does not belong within "creation colony" and Classic Tribe; not sure what this is for; seems same as regular discussion.  "Vent" and "Trash" could be merged IMO. STREAM is okay I guess, for announcements also chat during a stream perhaps (if the twitch/youtube window cannot be used by the streamer.

Why are there four or more voice channels? Why not just one; and if anyone wants to be in another one if they have something else going on (which as far as I'm aware has not happened yet) they can just set up a private room (in which I'm guessing you can invite anybody? Not sure how that works).

it'd be nice to have a "Lemmings" discussion (which we have, essentially general) (maybe a separate one for Lix but probably not because Simon wants most talk for Lix to be on Quakenet), and a specific non-Lemmings related discussion.

As an example another server I visit is very simple but nice:
there's a 'main' or general discussion, level design, optimization (which is speed running, a promonant thing there), community projects, images.

Then a Non-topic related set: which is like; non-Lemmings games and random (anything).
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Discord improvements?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 03:33:03 PM »
Giga, I'll leave these decisions to you. Even though I have admin rights in the Discord group, I am not active there, it would be inappropriate for me to decide over those who post frequently to the Discord group.

Lix culture, yes, let's keep it to the forums, IRC, and Mumble, to keep everything accessible with free-and-open-source software.

-- Simon

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 10:45:20 PM »
I'll explain why every room is needed

Dev Tribe is for anything involving other non lemmings projects, and discussing code.
Showcase tribe is about showing what you made weather it'd be Lemmings or not
Trash Tribe is just standard tomfollery, anything for good laughs
Vent Tribe is all about getting rid of your frustrations and going into detail about why. Just as long as its within the rules.

as for why there's multiple Voice channels.
If there was only one, it'd be chaos, to avoid that I give people the options.

Thy's why I have everything the way it is. I understand your arguments and I honestly don't think I'd want to change anything for right now. I regret to inform on that and apologize if that's not what you wanted to hear.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 10:49:44 PM »
For the record, I don't have any issue with the discord layout.

Yes there's a lot of channels but they all have their purposes, I feel it's hard to keep up with discord when there are a lot of messages going in one channel. If they are split over multiple channels then it is much easier and a friendlier layout.

I feel getting rid of channels is counterproductive to this ease of being able to catch up on messages.