Author Topic: Exactly 10 years since I've achieved something.  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Exactly 10 years since I've achieved something.
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:40:42 AM »
Hello, folks! 8-) Long time no see. Long time lurker here about to submit his first post of 2018.

You may be wondering why this exact date feels so special to me and why I remember it so much. It's because I was able to create my first level using the original Lemmix level editor. It might sound a bit stupid but believe me, I didn't have DOSbox at the time so I couldn't get LemEdit to work, and this Lemmix editor was quite buggy, with some features actually stopping to work unless you reboot it. Using the access keys to move terrain pieces and objects was one of them.

I don't have the first level on me at the moment, but it is actually a recreation of "The Twin Bridges", one of Essman's Copycat levels, under the classic pillar graphic set.

Once I made it and tested it on Lemmini I wanted to come up with a save file idea that was short enough so that I could access lots of levels onto a single file. It soon turned out to be 27108, the date I created it. Once I was able to achieve success I got addicted to it and went on to create almost 365 more levels, (Including a leap year) one for each year, and was able to get through it all approximately two months later, with some of my favourites near the end of the year starting on Christmas Day, and some easier versions of my levels (such as "Bash To Victory", the first level chosen for my first level pack) for the start of the year. There were a few clashes, the first one being 31108 that covers both 31st Jan and 3rd Nov, but I just left it in and moved on to the next.

Most of these levels had 100 Lemmings instead of 80, and were intended for Lemmini use. It wasn't until April that I tried optimising them for the Lemmix Level Player. (I nearly said NeoLemmix there!) This was also the time I uploaded these levels for public use. With that, I just picked the ones that I thought were the most suitable. It turns out I did fail with some of these levels, for example "The Squeeze Machine"'s trap not working because the trigger's too high.

But still. That's how all my Lemmings creativity came out. I hope that my levels are still on the archive and that my initial 'level a day' plan has inspired you to create any more projects you have in mind! Have a nice day! :thumbsup:
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3