Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Be Smart!  (Read 5886 times)

[NeoLemmix] Be Smart!
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:26:49 PM »
"Be smart!" has three ranks mixing different difficulty degrees. To play the 'Be smart!' you may have already some skills on lemmings because it is was not made to beginners. The difficulty rank should increase from rank 1 to 3, but it is not a rule. Play the 'Be smart!' and let me know about your experience that you get yours years playing lemmings.
If you need a replay tell me the level and I send it to you.
Who finish  it, if possible send me a feedback for help me in the next level pack that I'm working in.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:28:24 PM by Alberto Fernandes »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Be Smart!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 03:13:15 AM »
Level 8 of the Be Smart rank is unsolvable, you've given 1 Lemming and required 20 to be saved with no cloners available.

NeoLemmix flashes the Lemming number at me to tell me that the level is impossible as soon as the level has started.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 02:32:28 PM »
Level 8 problem was fixed. Tanks!

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 05:21:48 PM »
Level 8 problem was fixed. Tanks!

Before I make any solving attempts here and try out your pack:

- Could you create solution replays to all of your levels? --> press U after you assigned every skill needed to solve the level --> this saves a replay according to your replay saving settings. :)

- After that please post a mass replay checker result textfile here where all the levels have been solved via your replays --> press F7 in the main menu of NeoLemmix after opening your pack --> then select the folder you stored all of your replays --> this checks them regarding solvability (passing, undetermined [mostly equals failing] and failing) and creates a result text file in your NeoLemmix folder, that you can post here if everything is successful.

This way you got master replays to check if any level broke after a NeoLemmix update automatically in record time and confirm to yourself and us that everything is indeed solvable.

I really don't wanna spend a long time on an impossible level just to realize that fact, as I lost hours to this in the past. In comparison as the creator creating solution replays can be done quickly. ;)

After that I look forward to play your levels! :thumbsup:

I really should make a topic at some point highlighting the importance of master replays for every pack creator -- In my opinion every pack should have those. :8():

My golden rule: When you make a level -- save a solution replay of it!    Everybody wins this way. :)

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 05:40:30 PM »
What happened is that the level 8 problem was solved long time ago but I had uploaded its old version by mistake. This problem was already known and solved. All levels were tested and solved. The solution records will be posted as soon as I have time.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 05:42:00 PM »
What happened is that the level 8 problem was solved long time ago but I had uploaded its old version by mistake. This problem was already known and solved. All levels were tested and solved. The solution records will be posted as soon as I have time.

Alright, sounds good, no rush. :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 01:00:20 AM »
How is the status on the solution replays here ???

If you got that mass-replay-checker proof that the pack is indeed solvable I will gladly give it a go. :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 01:16:22 AM »
Unfortunatly I don't have all this time. But I warranty you all the BeSmart levels have a solution.
Some of them have more than one solution.
Try witch level you want and if you don't find a solution I will post its replay.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 03:25:41 PM »
Ok, solved the pack exept for rank 3 level 5, as I get an error upon accessing the level:

"ObtainObject loop on marble_md:15 " Please report this

Nepster might be able to help you with that, but this seems to me like NeoLemmix gets an error trying to access a certain tile from marble_md.

I attached my solution replays to this post for you to check.

One thing that caught me offguard here and why I thought there are 100% more impossible levels here: The last level does not indicate from the start that it scrolls downwards for a few pixels ---> I assumed you needed the builder there for the lower "gap" the standard screen position creates --> no way to get past the radiation. I would not rely on vertical scrolling in this level and move the construction a few pixels up for that, so it isn't needed anymore. Or make it clearer in general that the level goes indeed downwards.

Also a lot of unnesseary timers caught my eye in the last rank ;)

I will post more in depth feedback another time so stay tuned. :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »
Alright here is some more feedback. Warning: I will only focus on flaws here to help you getting a better feeling for level creating. ;)

I think more general advice on what can be improved is the best way here instead of going over every single level in detail, so here is what caught my eye:

- The most important thing: Most of the levels feel really empty and lack any kind of decoration. This often results in landscapes that seem really thrown together. An example would be the very first level (or something like rank 3 level 9): No decoration, just a few steel blocks. The solution may be nice, but it could really use a decorational makeover. Also the radiation is when it's used often spread all over the place. Improving the genral structure could really help.

Compare only the general appearance and looks of the first level to something like this:

Appearance really makes a huge difference, even when it takes a longer time period.

- A lot of unnesseary timers. This seems weirder when I realised that in the first rank you made good use of the timers using them only where they are needed and used the unlimited timer as standard. In the future ranks the timers really got a bit on my nerves, still enforcing the same solution I did with the exception of finding the right time to turn the release rate up. They don't add to the level's difficulty, too. Examples: Rank 2 Level 9, Rank 2 Level 8, Rank 3 level 8 .....

- A point partly connected with the previous one: A few levels have too many Lemmings! Example the first level: Why would you need 200 Lemmings there? Why does Rank 3 level 8 need 100???

- A bunch of levels rely heavily on building giant bridges. Often a 1 or 2 builder gap could have done the same as a 6 builder gap.

- Rank 1 Levels 2 and 9 were with the exception of the last builder placement (also those 1 pixel troll gaps are not relly adding anything to the level) the same level.

- A lot of the levels name were let's say a bit monoton: Ease Way, Smart way, Best Way, Hidden Way, Magic Way, Missing Way........come on a bit more imagination here ;)

Hope my feedback and suggestions are helpful for you! :thumbsup: