Author Topic: Prob Lem's Lix Levels - Latest: Computer Goes Boom (2014-07-02)  (Read 15803 times)

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
Re: Prob Lem's Lix Levels - Latest: Computer Goes Boom (2014-07-02)
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 10:37:38 PM »
The replays for Computer Goes Boom, and Lab Lix didn't seem to work properly, though, and never reach the end (to a degree the same goes for the one for The Lix Crusade, which mostly worked but never actually reached the end after two Lix got out of the level). I'm assuming you actually did finish them, and that this is some other issue?

I did finish them, and when I replay them on my end they work out fine. I'm guessing either it's a version disparity (a new version of Lix was just released yesterday) or maybe you somehow stopped the replay partway through accidentally. If you click anywhere except on the fast-forward or pause buttons, the replay will stop.

As for the Lix Crusade and Computer Goes Boom, I assigned the climbers at the end absurdly fast (several per frame, I think -- I executed it in slow-mo), I wonder if that's the issue.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 10:42:16 PM »
I did finish them, and when I replay them on my end they work out fine. I'm guessing either it's a version disparity (a new version of Lix was just released yesterday) or maybe you somehow stopped the replay partway through accidentally. If you click anywhere except on the fast-forward or pause buttons, the replay will stop.
I didn't have my hand anywhere near my trackball, so it's probably the version thing - I'm still using the previous one. Will grab the new one now, before I get to fixing Computer Goes Boom. :thumbsup:

As for the Lix Crusade and Computer Goes Boom, I assigned the climbers at the end absurdly fast (several per frame, I think -- I executed it in slow-mo), I wonder if that's the issue.
Seems like a valid guess to me. :D It only assigns one and then the replay ends a little while after that. Of course, it could well be the version difference again.

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 10:57:13 PM »
I just loaded the replays in the 2014-04-04 release from two months ago; I can confirm they are broken in that version. Sorry about that!

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2014, 11:36:13 PM »
No problem!

I just watched them all in the newest version, and I'm really impressed. As expected, you did backroute Computer Goes Boom (I still can't believe that I missed that one... ), but wow, your solution for Lab Lix really is poetry in motion! Utterly, utterly beautiful. It's completely different from the intended one, but it definitely isn't a backroute, either. Again, I'm really happy to have made a level to which there are multiple legitimate solutions.

I've attached the fixed version of Computer Goes Boom, and replays for the intended solutions to all of my levels so far (EDIT: As you can see, the one for The Lix Crusade is intended to follow the film - I was very entertained to see that the spelling of the name that was meant to be avoided in the movie also works).The replay for Computer Goes Boom is from the fixed version, but the solution is identical to that which was intended for the original. You'll need to rename the existing files for the other levels, though - I've started numbering them (just with 01, 02, etc., at the start of the filename, with no spaces, punctuation, or anything else) so that they appear in the proper order.

As for how Computer Goes Boom was fixed...

It's now an even better approximation of the real event, hahaha...

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:13:49 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 12:52:02 AM »
I tried for a few minutes to find a clever path through the smoke, but I think it's backroute-free there. :thumbsup:

By the way, you don't necessarily need to prefix the file names with numbers. As an alternative, you can create a file called _order.X.txt in the same directory, containing one filename per line. The files will then appear in lix listed in the order specified in the text file.

Of course, you'd have to package your levels all in one zip file or something similar if you want _order.X.txt to come with, so your solution probably works better for now.  :)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 01:16:44 AM »
By the way, you don't necessarily need to prefix the file names with numbers. As an alternative, you can create a file called _order.X.txt in the same directory, containing one filename per line. The files will then appear in lix listed in the order specified in the text file.

Of course, you'd have to package your levels all in one zip file or something similar if you want _order.X.txt to come with, so your solution probably works better for now.  :)
I did not know that! Thanks very much.

I'll stick with the numbers for now, though, since I have no idea how many I'm going to make, yet. Maybe this will grow into an actual pack of levels, I don't know... If it does, then I'll do that. :D

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2018, 07:13:39 PM »
I've tried to fix "Monument to Sir Lomax" but my fix looks utterly ugly. This level used Simon/steel tiles, which were culled. (Left is the original, right my fix.)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2018, 02:06:35 PM »
I had another attempt at fixing "Monument to Sir Lomax". This time I created tilegroups of the geoo/steel tiles that have approx. the size of the original tiles.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2018, 07:47:58 AM »
Attempted fixes at "Computer Goes Boom", this level used simon/steel tiles as well.
I have one fix that uses tilegroups that have approx. the same size as the original but it is maybe not visible enough that it's steel. (attempted fix 1)
I have another fix, where the tilegroups are a bit bigger but steel is obvious. (attempted fix 2)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2018, 07:18:21 PM »
Picture of an attempted fix to Lab Lix, which had a couple of outdated tiles.