Author Topic: pause on restart?  (Read 2385 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
pause on restart?
« on: November 17, 2017, 10:09:59 PM »
IMO: pause should not be remembered on restart/replay.

I'm finding often I restart the level and wait and wait... oh what? the game is paused? Ok... unpause. Play... restart... wait... it's paused again! wtf??

Maybe this is part of a bad habit of mine but I do not have this issue with NL.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: pause on restart?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 10:22:04 PM »
I agree that pause on restart doesn't make much sense. It may be consistent to keep pause on restart because all framesteps keep pauses, but there is no use here for pause. Will unpause on restart.

-- Simon

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 11:18:24 PM »
Funnily enough, I've been meaning to make the opposite feature request for NL, but hadn't gotten round to it.

The reason: with no pause on restart, it is very annoying when you have to assign a precisely timed skill near the start of the level.

I accept that this doesn't come up very often, and so it might be overall better to go with the current behaviour.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 02:25:24 AM »
I don't mind either restart-keeps-pause or restart-always-unpauses because I never restart. >_>

For precise early assignments, I believe you would restart, then framestep. This will pause because all Lix framesteps pause. Then it doesn't matter whether the restart paused or not. Since Proxima considered an NL issue report towards restarst-keeps-pause, there is a mismatch between my reasoning and Proxima's. Where would that be? Does the NL framestep pause?

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 04:44:12 AM »
Fixed in the released 0.9.3.

-- Simon

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 05:21:11 PM »
For precise early assignments, I believe you would restart, then framestep. This will pause because all Lix framesteps pause. Then it doesn't matter whether the restart paused or not. Since Proxima considered an NL issue report towards restarst-keeps-pause, there is a mismatch between my reasoning and Proxima's. Where would that be? Does the NL framestep pause?

NL framesteps do not pause, which is good for two reasons that don't apply to Lix:

NL lacks builder-queuing, so to do a long bridge, the usual technique is click, skip 10sec, click, skip 10sec....

NL lacks turbo-fast-forward, so after assigning, if the next time I need to assign is some way off but I'm not sure whether a 10sec skip will go past it, I skip 2sec a few times.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 03:36:03 AM »

NL framesteps do not pause, which is good for two reasons that don't apply to Lix:

NL lacks builder-queuing, so to do a long bridge, the usual technique is click, skip 10sec, click, skip 10sec....

NL lacks turbo-fast-forward, so after assigning, if the next time I need to assign is some way off but I'm not sure whether a 10sec skip will go past it, I skip 2sec a few times.

I assume you referring to old format NL as I don't remember exactly. But new NL definitely pauses when you backstep. At the least; it's an option that I currently have enabled.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain