Author Topic: [bug/sug.] Hold to Scroll is slippery  (Read 1996 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
[bug/sug.] Hold to Scroll is slippery
« on: September 11, 2017, 12:21:49 AM »
Hold to Scroll: this topic was locked so I'm pointing to it here:

http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3282.msg64216#msg64216

I agree with Simon's post; while the edge scrolling is improved; I never use this and the hold-to-scroll feature feels slippery and needs improvement. I want it to feel just like Lix's scroll. With Lix I always use hold to scroll and find it has much better subtle control than edge scrolling.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [bug/sug.] Hold to Scroll is slippery
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »
Hold-to-scroll is always hard to code and get right, so I am not surprised that it needs further tweaking. But "feels slippery" and "want it to feel just like Lix's scroll" don't help me much to pin-point issues that I can (try to) fix. Could you please elaborate a bit in which cases it doesn't satisfy you and how it should behave? Is the problem with slow or fast mouse movements? If you want to move only a few pixels or if you want to move through the whole map? Does it feel slippery when you start moving, or when you end, or perhaps always?

PS: At the moment I have literally no clue how the hold-to-scroll is implemented in NeoLemmix, so it might take a while until I am able to fix anything here. But does not let this prevent you from filing bugs.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 09:39:26 PM »
well in Lix; I have my hokey set to the right mouse button (which can have more the one effect/a hotkey can do multiple things/I have it also select walker. (no this has never interfered with gameplay) something that if this is not currently possible in NL, should be.)
When I hold the button down then wherever I move my mouse the screen scrolls and (this is important I think): the mouse remains still. The screen scrolls as long as I move the mouse; it stops as soon as the mouse stops. It scrolls slowly if I move the mouse slowly. It scrolls fast if I move the mouse fast.

The NL current behavior is: when I start scrolling the mouse moves meaning that you can reach a stopping point where you'd have to stop; pick up the mouse and move it to keep scrolling. Also it's sluggish; the scrolling starts slowly then goes faster then slows as it stops and sometimes keeps going a little after you stop, as Simon said. You don't have as much control over it.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 04:53:20 PM »
Thanks for the details.

well in Lix; I have my hokey set to the right mouse button (which can have more the one effect/a hotkey can do multiple things/I have it also select walker. (no this has never interfered with gameplay) something that if this is not currently possible in NL, should be.)
To allow that, I have to change completely how the hotkeys are stored internally. While certainly not impossible, this will be quite a lot of work and therefore not something that will happen in the near future. Sorry.

When I hold the button down then wherever I move my mouse the screen scrolls and (this is important I think): the mouse remains still.
The problem here is, that this is extremely difficult to code. I might manage that in C#, but I don't have any chance at this in Delphi. The main problem is, that the mouse movement is done by the OS (Windows) and it just tells NeoLemmix (or any other application) where it is and when if was clicked. So to keep it standing still, I would have to override the standard behavior of the OS, which is rather hard.

Also it's sluggish; the scrolling starts slowly then goes faster then slows as it stops and sometimes keeps going a little after you stop, as Simon said. You don't have as much control over it.
That's something that can be changed more easily. I guess a constant scrolling speed (perhaps depending on the level size) is preferrable to you then?

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 10:11:35 PM »
Thanks for the details.

To allow that, I have to change completely how the hotkeys are stored internally. While certainly not impossible, this will be quite a lot of work and therefore not something that will happen in the near future. Sorry.

When I hold the button down then wherever I move my mouse the screen scrolls and (this is important I think): the mouse remains still.
The problem here is, that this is extremely difficult to code. I might manage that in C#, but I don't have any chance at this in Delphi. The main problem is, that the mouse movement is done by the OS (Windows) and it just tells NeoLemmix (or any other application) where it is and when if was clicked. So to keep it standing still, I would have to override the standard behavior of the OS, which is rather hard.

Also it's sluggish; the scrolling starts slowly then goes faster then slows as it stops and sometimes keeps going a little after you stop, as Simon said. You don't have as much control over it.
That's something that can be changed more easily. I guess a constant scrolling speed (perhaps depending on the level size) is preferrable to you then?

From what I understand, the program taking control over the mouse can also lead to lag and other issues. I didn't realize this was such a problem, I understand.

I guess a constant scrolling speed is preferred...

-Hakuin Ekaku