Author Topic: "Un-epic-izer" - Turns levels using the Epic tileset into tileset-mixing ones  (Read 1819 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
So yeah, there's a few levels out there using the Epic tileset. Which use of is strongly discouraged, especially now that tileset mixing in levels is possible. (For those who don't know, the Epic tileset is a tileset originating from Lemmini, and also converted to NeoLemmix prior to tileset mixing being possible, which contains the terrains and objects of all the Orig tilesets mixed into one.)

But strongly discouraging it for new levels doesn't fix already-existing levels, does it? And changing things by hand would be a royal pain in the ass.

So, I wrote an app that does most of the work for you!

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=82

Simply drag and drop a LVL file onto the EXE. Alternatively, run the EXE, then type in the filename of the LVL file (remember to include the ".lvl" extension).

This will convert it to a much more "normal" level that uses tileset mixing. Advantages - not having to include the 2MB epic.dat file in your NXP, and potentially faster load times for your levels due to that NeoLemmix doesn't have to load said 2MB graphic set to play the level. Also, the appearance will be more consistent with other levels - it won't have the scaled-down Lemmini graphics, but the same ones that appear in regular levels.

Please do be aware - the Epic tileset has different trigger areas for some objects, and even different sizes for some of the terrain pieces, so the result will probably need some touching up, and will DEFINITELY need re-testing. Still, it's a lot less work than if you were to convert these levels by hand. Also please note that the level's primary graphic set will always be set to Crystal when run through this.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:57:14 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Works fine! :thumbsup:

Replays + triggers recheck 100% needed. The triggers should remain alright, but better check twice ;)

The only thing missing: Main tileset needs to be set to "Crystal (Orig)" by hand. It was still set to Epic.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I've updated it so that it will change the primary set to Crystal. (If anyone prefers a different one, this can be changed manually; my logic in choosing crystal is that it gives the different background color which may become important if any Crystal set terrains are used. As Icho pointed out in chat, another bonus is that Epic's minimap / bridge color is also very close to Crystal's.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)