Author Topic: [2 SUGGESTIONS][PLAYER] How to open program/games  (Read 1364 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
[2 SUGGESTIONS][PLAYER] How to open program/games
« on: September 11, 2016, 06:15:07 PM »
1) When starting the NL player it should always go to the start menu (where you can easily access the options) except when playtesting.
While doing many different things including testing out backgrounds and editing levels I've wanted to open the player just to get to the options, but I'm always prompted to open a pack to do so, which isn't a big deal until you have to do this frequently many times in a row. It's easy enough to go to a level/pack once the program is open (you should be able to press Cntl-O to do so). The current system feels a little odd.

2) You can open a level or game by double-clicking on a LVL or NXP file. Or by dragging and dropping the file into the open player. I remember there being plans for this for the editor as well. This is even quicker than clicking on the player then opening it from the dialogue box.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [2 SUGGESTIONS][PLAYER] How to open program/games
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 06:22:25 PM »
1) When starting the NL player it should always go to the start menu (where you can easily access the options) except when playtesting.
While doing many different things including testing out backgrounds and editing levels I've wanted to open the player just to get to the options, but I'm always prompted to open a pack to do so, which isn't a big deal until you have to do this frequently many times in a row. It's easy enough to go to a level/pack once the program is open (you should be able to press Cntl-O to do so). The current system feels a little odd.

It should, but the current method of using an external NXP file rather than data built into the EXE is actually really kludgy. Essentially, the NXP files are identical to what would've, in Lemmix or earlier versions of NeoLemmix, been a section of data built into the EXE file itself; NeoLemmix then reads from this file instead of the built-in files (using the built in ones as fallbacks in some cases for files that it can't find in the NXP). I've been kind of lazy about actually doing anything to improve this, especially because of the plans to fully move to a directory-based structure in the future anyway.

2) You can open a level or game by double-clicking on a LVL or NXP file. Or by dragging and dropping the file into the open player. I remember there being plans for this for the editor as well. This is even quicker than clicking on the player then opening it from the dialogue box.

For the first one, when you double-click a file that Windows doesn't know how to open, you'll get a popup asking you what to open it with. If you choose NeoLemmix (and you can, if you like, click an "Always use this program to open NXP files" option), then this will indeed work already - this has been the case for a long time now actually. NeoLemmix just doesn't have a way to configure this itself.

Dragging and dropping onto an open player doesn't work, because NeoLemmix doesn't currently support changing between packs while it's already running - it has to be exited and started up again. However, dragging and dropping NXP or LVL files onto NeoLemmix.exe (in windows file explorer), rather than onto an open player window, also already works.

For the editor, I can look into this, though I won't make any promises as to how soon it'll have that functionality.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)