Author Topic: A BeastIII of a level: Designs and concepts  (Read 8107 times)

Offline WYSIWYG23

• ^_^
    • View Profile
A BeastIII of a level: Designs and concepts
« on: August 24, 2016, 09:32:26 PM »
I've heard others have (can't remember where) also made a shadow of the beast III special level, so I decided to take a go myself:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's based off of the Caves part of the game, but very beginning. I've tried re-googling around to find out where/who I originally heard of doing this same level title, but all I've found were Insane Steve's levels (which if I recall correctly are just .lvl modifications using same beast I & beast II terrains, but higher difficulty and renamed beast III and beast IV). I believe I was on some text page mentioning a level called "VERY MENACING" with new terrain as well.

Has anyone else here seen more remakes of the beast levels, or menacing too?
Hunt the Nessie  :3

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: A BeastIII of a level: Designs and concepts
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 10:00:03 PM »
First of all, WHOA. :lem-mindblown: That's an EXCELLENT design of the BeastIII style! :thumbsup: You should release that as a VGASPEC! Did you also make a level with that?

Also, haven't seen you on here in a while! I remember one of the last things you posted was the Dumbo Pink Elephants VGASPEC. Are you still going to release a level with that?

Tim made a BeastIII style, but he took it down because apparently it wasn't well-liked. He instead made a Forest tileset, which is available to download in the Lemmins Fangame.

Gronkling also made the Menace and Beast II styles for NeoLemmix. You should check these out - he made some awesome terrain tiles that go very well with the original Menace and BeastII terrains. If that's not enough, check out the snake eating the lemmings in Menace and a weasel in BeastII snatching the lemming!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 03:43:58 PM by Wafflem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline WYSIWYG23

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 11:10:23 PM »
thx! I've just made a .lvl file, along with a Vgaspec. (attached) Haven't had time to do much work on the .lvl recently, but it's still a little trickier than the original BeastII level. Maybe sometime I'll make it more difficult. Just be careful as you start to go up after crossing the bridge! ;P

As for the other one, I hope you can understand as after having done this one it definitely isn't my best, and my own lack of interest; But I might do one for Pink Elephants sometime if I get enough interest.

Offline WYSIWYG23

• ^_^
    • View Profile
Special Levels based form Psygnosis Games
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 05:54:06 AM »
I've now finally finished making three other Psygnosis levels to compliment this "BEAST III" level (reason for renaming the topic for this post). In the attached zip are:

#0  Barbarian
#1  Blood Money
#2  BeastIII (exact one shown in spoiler)
#3  Agony

@wafflem: Thanks for pointing my topic to the right board! ;) Congrats on becoming a global moderator!

EDIT: #3 Agony is now fixed (doesn't have the weird sack anymore)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 09:33:29 PM by Gui55 »

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »
Again, these look REALLY excellent! :thumbsup: The Blood Money one reminds me of Menacing (the left side of it at least). Agony is awesome; what is that sack-looking thing on the upper left? (note that I've never played these Psygnosis games before) I had to convert these to NeoLemmix because it's hard for me these days to view them in traditional Lemmix.

Sorry I didn't reply to you right away about the BeastIII. I really enjoyed that level and the 99 release rate made it tricky, and it really feels like it would fit in Orig Lemmings (along with the other VGASPECS). I have a replay but I'll post it when I get to my home computer. I'm probably also going to build an NXP with these VGASPEC levels (including your BeastIII level) in case people want to see what they look like.

I was a temporary Global Moderator just to move some unorganized topics, but now I am just a moderator for the Level Packs board.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 05:55:17 PM by Wafflem »

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline WYSIWYG23

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 09:46:15 PM »
Thanks..... The sack on the upper left was actually one of the enemy creature-things that the Owl-protagonist has to destroy. I must have mistakenly left it there by accident because I forgot to destroy it first to create the graphics behind it! :-[ Thanks for pointing it out, I've now replaced VGAPSEC.ZIP with a new one that contains the fix for #3.

Also, thanks for offering to translate my VGASPEC's to NXP for NeoLemmix for others to see! I agree that would be nice since NeoLemmix is definitely the standard among us Lemmings Gamers.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 03:06:37 AM »
Alright, I've converted the VGASPECs and made the NXP! :)

Barbarian, Agony and Blood Money are just 20-of-everything levels much like the Orig Games, while I've implemented your level for BeastIII. Here's my replay for BeastIII back in August (re-converted to the new replay format).

Make sure you have at least NeoLemmix V010.010.010 before opening this NXP.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:42:46 AM by Wafflem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 03:20:18 AM »
Make sure you have at least NeoLemmix V010.010.010 before opening this NXP.

If it works on V10.010.010, it'll work on V1.48(-B) too. There's zero change in compatibility between them (ignoring the fall distance bug in V1.48; fixed in V1.48-B).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WYSIWYG23

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 09:41:40 PM »
@wafflem I can't open either of your two neolemmix files with the latest neolemmix player. Both say "cannot open graphic set barbarian.dat" (or beastiii.dat) Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong, or how to set it up?

EDIT: I meant to say I can open it, but I can't start playing the level; I noticed in the setting.ini file for the player it says "LastVersion=10010010000" at the very top, so am I not using the right version (010.010.010)?

I've also set all of the online options in this file to true (1) to see if updating the styles will work, but it didn't. Is there a setting I need to add? (I am running the lemmix player inside a folder named "Neo" on the desktop. I'm running windows 8.1 with admin rights.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 09:49:41 PM by Gui55 »

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 01:42:11 AM »
Sorry, that was my fault. I forgot to add the graphic sets to the NXP. I've fixed that, made sure it worked, and re-uploaded in my previous post; it should work now.

Offline WYSIWYG23

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2023, 01:13:44 AM »
I'm back, for the moment!

I decided to share with all interested my special levels Redux versions of this thread.

Improvements:

1.  Barbarian replaced entirely with Ork Level 1
2.  Added upper claw in Blood Money
3.  Fixed scaling and coloring in Beast III
4.  Added missing excitement for Agony!!!

Attached source images and zip file with VGASPEC .dats