Author Topic: Rant: Don't unpause after skill assignments  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Rant: Don't unpause after skill assignments
« on: June 02, 2016, 05:32:44 PM »
Currently Lix cancels pause when assigning a skill. This should be changed in D-Lix!

Consider for example my (backrouty) solution to Simon's contest level (see attachment). After each skill assignment, the game gets unpaused and I usually manage to hit the pause hotkey only after a few frames have passed. But in this solution, I simply could not wait a few frames, because in these frames I needed to assign a few more skills. So I had to backwards framestep until hitting the frame after the previous skill assignment. This led to lots of forwards framestepping as well, whenever I went too far back. Sometimes I even accidentally cancelled previous skill assignments, because I thought I had the correct frame, but actually was at the frame following the next-to-last assignment.
Doing all this framestepping for every single skill assignment and then varying them to find the correct positions, was terribly frustrating and absolutely no fun at all!

Of course there are some situations where you want to continue the game unpaused after assigning a skill. But then one just have to press unpause once, which is one single key. That is a lot less work than pressing a dozen keys to navigate to the correct frame again.

Summary: Currently it is extremely hard to assign several skills during subsequent frames. Keeping pause after skill assignments greatly reduces the workload in this situation, while adding only a little bit more work in other situations.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Rant: Don't unpause after skill assignments
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 06:22:16 PM »
100 % agree, for both D and C++ Lix.

Download Lix 2016-06-02.

During pause, physics advance by 1 frame when you click air, or when you assign a skill. Pause stays on.

Physics in 2016-06-02 are identical to anything since 2015-09-02 inclusive. It's safe to play or replay contest #10 levels with 2016-06-02.

-- Simon