Author Topic: [bug]Weird interactions with bashers and steel  (Read 1803 times)

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
[bug]Weird interactions with bashers and steel
« on: April 10, 2016, 05:34:05 PM »
I've made a few levels over the past few days and I have noticed that their are some strange interactions between bashers and steel on NeoLemmix. First thing I noticed was that if a lemmings is bashing towards steel and there are 3 or less pixels of steel above his feet he will jump up above the steel 1-3 pixels while still bashing. If the steel is arranged in a specific way on purpose it can be able to be abused to an amusing extent. In 99% of levels this probably has no effect on them but in some odd cases it may be possible to save a builder in an unintended way.

I also noticed that when I was building towards a steel wall and wanted to end the build early by bashing, it caused the lemming to turn around when he didn't even make contact with the steel. I then realized lemmings can turn around by bashing up to aprox 11-12 pixels. This can be used to make lemmings turn around without falling of a ledge. The weird thing being that if I try to replicate it with normal terrain the basher does not even come close to hitting the terrain. So why does it turn the lemmings around when they are so far away?

I have made a quick level to show off these quirks and under assumed lemmings physics this level should be impossible. It is however passable with only one lemming death at the beginning due to the builder lemming having to bash near the steel.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [bug]Weird interactions with bashers and steel
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 05:37:57 PM »
The moving upwards onto steel is because steel (and for that matter, one way arrows) in NeoLemmix can be rough-edged. If you play the NeoLemmix Introduction Pack, there is a level in the first rank that demonstrates this.

The rest of the issues in this post are already discussed here, so I will close this topic - but do feel free to give your input on this matter in the existing topic! Some improvements in this regard are being made for future updates, you can see the current proposed behaviour in Nepster's experimental version - most, if not all, of the changes in this version are going to be kept for future official releases.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)