Author Topic: Lemmings comming to Sony PSP  (Read 16556 times)

Re: Lemmings comming to Sony PSP
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2005, 01:06:24 AM »
Well, I don't think people are saying that we should go back to old-school 2D 320x200x16 color graphics per se when they talked about the graphics being "killed".  Just that they don't think the graphics are of the right style and feel.

As for the glitches, I'm sure we can live without them.  Cheapo doesn't reproduce all the glitches faithfully either but people generally had few complaints.  You may even say that this represents a rare opportunity for the programmers to fix mistakes that were left unfixed in the original version.

I wonder what they'd do for sound and music?  Hmm......

Actually, it would be really interesting to see what their take on death animations are.  You know, the usual splattering and getting mauled by traps......  :devil:

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2005, 08:56:14 PM »
Actually, on the subject of glitches.....

If they plan to use the original levels, then they'll probably need to reproduce many of these glitches to make some levels work. Lemmings2 was far worse, but L1 had its share of bugs you had to reproduce...

I remember in L2, there was a trampoline level I had to fudge all lemmings to do a 1 pixel lower bounce to make the chain of bounces work. The Amiga one was different somehow... nightmare...

If they totally redo the levels in the same "style", then they'll probably be able to get away without do it.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2005, 09:01:39 PM »
Can you give an example of a Lemmings 1 level that required a glitch for the solution? I can't think of a single one; but then, as we know, many levels have solutions other than those intended.

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2005, 09:15:09 PM »
Quote from: Mike  link=1116495432/30#31 date=1116968174
If they plan to use the original levels, then they'll probably need to reproduce many of these glitches to make some levels work.

Even if what you say is true (which I am fairly skeptical of, since like Ahribar I can't think of any levels that required glitches), there is still the option of not including the levels that require an unimplemented glitch, substituting instead with new levels.

After all there is already a precedence for it in the numerous Lemmings 1 ports.  Certain systems such as the Sega Genesis, the game boy, etc., cannot handle the large map sizes used for the Amiga/PC/Mac, so they either substantially alter the level to make it fit in a smaller map size, or in many cases, substitute completely new levels.

And my believe is that the number of levels requiring such a substitution would be few if any.  In general I believe the original Lemmings levels gave a bit of margin of mistake, even on the harder levels, so as long as the differences are small enough it is unlikely to render a level impossible.

Andi

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2005, 09:29:48 PM »
Quote from: Mike  link=1116495432/30#31 date=1116968174
I remember in L2, there was a trampoline level I had to fudge all lemmings to do a 1 pixel lower bounce to make the chain of bounces work. The Amiga one was different somehow... nightmare...

It was somewhere in the Higland tribe, right? Argh! Hate this one!

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2005, 08:14:36 AM »
Yeah I think so.... I hated it too... right up to the point where it worked, then it was cool to watch! :)

The most obvious "glitch" or "feature" is the one where you click on a lemming just as he hits a wall. By clicking there, you select him for the next frame, and any action is taken in the opposite direction.

I cant remember the name of the level (fire style), but it was where lemmings dropped into a 1 pixel gap, and you had to click just right to bash in the right direction. (Just checked: Mayhem 24: All or Nothing )

Now, this could either be solved by chance, or as in L1, made 100% possible by the "feature". Dave wasn't going to allow the level unless Gary proved it could be done 100% of the time, which he did.

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2005, 09:13:30 AM »
Well, for that hopefully Team 17 can take the L2 approach, and allow you to have the cursor track an individual lemming.

I should point out that since it is still possible to solve that level by chance, the glitch didn't help out as much as you think, with most people not knowing about the glitch.  I've even read a solution online that criticizes the level as "You can only win this level by chance.  What a waste of level!".

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2005, 09:28:42 AM »
A glitch-free 100% certainity method on "All or Nothing":

Hold your cursor in the centre of each holding area as the lemmings fall into it, and click just after the first one has had time to turn round.

See, I told you most levels had unintended solutions!  :P

AstralLemming

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2005, 04:47:07 PM »
As for the graphics being 'killed' I meant they just don't look right to me. I'm pretty sure most people here will agree with me on that one.

drumnbach

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2005, 11:42:08 PM »
The high-resolution graphics may open up a lot of back doors, too. But I think the graphics are pretty good but perhaps a little outdated. This would be really impressive if released five years ago.

Has anybody ever seen the wartime-style artwork of a load of silhouetted Lemmings walking past a sunburned backdrop as one of the Lemmings looks pensively into the eyes of the viewer? They should have made the in-game artwork graphics look like that.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2005, 04:38:44 AM »
Quote from: Mike  link=1116495432/30#35 date=1117008876
Yeah I think so.... I hated it too... right up to the point where it worked, then it was cool to watch! :)

The most obvious "glitch" or "feature" is the one where you click on a lemming just as he hits a wall. By clicking there, you select him for the next frame, and any action is taken in the opposite direction.

I cant remember the name of the level (fire style), but it was where lemmings dropped into a 1 pixel gap, and you had to click just right to bash in the right direction. (Just checked: Mayhem 24: All or Nothing )

Now, this could either be solved by chance, or as in L1, made 100% possible by the "feature". Dave wasn't going to allow the level unless Gary proved it could be done 100% of the time, which he did.

Let as hope that it will be like Cheapo Copycat where it is possible to selection a paritular Lemmings in the melee, or just by pressing the correct arrow key to force the lemming to do the action in the correct way.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2005, 08:38:59 PM »
I dont know if anyof you play the SNES version of Lemmings2, but we spent a lot of time doing a Joypad "lock on" system for that... it worked really well....

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2005, 09:15:59 PM »
Yeah I have played that version (I was the one who riled you up with my criticism of the levels in the SNES version, remember?  ;P)  I thought it was a feature available in all versions of Lemmings 2.  It's definitely very handy.

Andi

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2005, 10:54:51 AM »
Lemmings 2 fpr SNES was my first Lemmings game ever. I really like the "lock on" feature. But then I discovered the mouse also works and I didn't used it anymore.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2005, 07:26:14 AM »
Yeah...We got one of the first SNES mice to come out... Which was interesting... Gary prefered the lock on to the mouse though, particiually since you could pause perfectly on a frame by frame basis. It allowed him to do pixel "clicking" mich easier.

You know about the superscope and Lemmings2 on the SNES dont you?

Also, if you click the  dot above the "i" in Lemmings, you get "visual" sound effects switch on.

And....heres a tough one... Just under the 2, where the pixel "steps up" (left hand side), if you click there, you can see the end sequence! I usually put these in so I can see them years later without playing the game.

B)