Author Topic: Music files by name  (Read 7858 times)

Offline alexis9000

• View Profile
Re: Music files by name
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 10:25:56 AM »
Unfortunatelly...and after making (or at least trying) what you've been telling to me, it seems that it still won't work...somehow I got a feeling that I'm forgetting something, but I don't know what.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 10:52:58 AM »
Unfortunatelly...and after making (or at least trying) what you've been telling to me, it seems that it still won't work...somehow I got a feeling that I'm forgetting something, but I don't know what.

As I said your file (even it beeing too large) is alright. I get my test levels to play it. I still assume there is some elementary wrong in your process here. Either using a wrong program or doing sth elementary wrong in the level creation process.

I highly recommend: Make your level from scratch using the latest release of the NeoLemmix editor. After that upload it here so we can check if it's alright. At last add the music track.

I/We need to see your exact progress here, as this is the first time I saw a level not loading because it wanted "levelpack1.dat", "levelpack2.dat".... (did you maybe try to remane tilesets?)

This might be a great help for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53dMYMF2LgM
As namida is live creating a level in the editor here!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »
For the music:

In an NXP file

When building your NXP, make sure the music is in the *LEFT* dialog box here. You can add it using the "Add" button. (Don't worry about the box on the right for now, that's for more-advanced situations.)

If playing as a single level
Create a "music" folder in the same folder as NeoLemmix.exe (if it doesn't already exist), and place the music file in there.

If you still can't get it to work, please come on the #NeoLemmix IRC channel sometime and hopefully someone who can help you is online. (I'm online at the moment, not sure how long I'll be on for.) It may be easier to solve this via chatroom communication than forum posts.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 11:23:58 AM »
Awesome! :)

Now - as others have mentioned - it sounds like your music file should be in OGG format, not IT format.

Generally, the only format that should be converted to IT is MIDI. Most other formats either don't convert well to IT, or are already compatible without any conversion (MOD, XM, etc). All other formats should be converted to OGG (in fact, NeoLemmix supports WAV and MP3 as-is, they're just not recommended; converting them to OGG is better).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 09:04:56 PM »
All other formats should be converted to OGG (in fact, NeoLemmix supports WAV and MP3 as-is, they're just not recommended; converting them to OGG is better).

I'm fine with recommending OGG as the format to use, but I don't know I'd necessarily make a blanket recommendation for converting MP3s to OGG if MP3 is already supported.  Basically all conversions to OGG or MP3 are lossy, meaning the audio is slightly degraded in the process in order to reduce the amount of data required.  For WAV, it is still generally a good idea as the slight (potentially imperceptible to most people, depending on the quality of the original) degradation of quality from the conversion is greatly outweighed by the massive reduction in file size, particularly for lengthy audio such as background music.  For MP3 to OGG, the reduction in size will likely be much smaller, so the tradeoff is not quite so one-sided.  I would at least say that you should directly try to find an OGG version (as it may have gone directly from raw/loseless audio to OGG) instead of converting from an MP3 version you found (which implies going from raw/loseless to MP3 and then to OGG, so the audio got degraded two times).