Author Topic: Lemmings Level Discussion  (Read 8352 times)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
Lemmings Level Discussion
« on: May 07, 2005, 04:00:50 AM »
Does anybody have any new backroutes or high scores on a Lemmings level that the rest of us don't know about?  If so, please post here!  Also post here if you just want to talk about a particular level.

Note:  Please do not use this thread to discuss fan-made levels; the proper place to do that is in the Level Designing section of the forum.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Level Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 11:27:09 AM »
I've just finished a Cheapo set of remakes of levels with backroutes: http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Backroutes.ZIP

And I've written up all my solutions to the levels (main solutions in the first half, backroutes in the second) at http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Backroutes.html

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 03:24:24 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1115438450/0#1 date=1115465229
I've just finished a Cheapo set of remakes of levels with backroutes: http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Backroutes.ZIP

And I've written up all my solutions to the levels (main solutions in the first half, backroutes in the second) at http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Backroutes.html

I glanced at some of these backroutes and noticed that there are a few more in the original Lemmings games that were not mentioned. &#A0;You may want to include these in your pack:

Many levels, including "Compression Method 1" can be solved by bashing through the top few pixels of steel (This trick may not work in Cheapo).  This actually makes the level 100%-able!

I recently found a huge backroute solution to "The Race against cliches" in ONML. &#A0;It involves digging near the first stack on the right until the lemming almost drops off the screen, then bashing underneath all of the stacks on the way to the exit. &#A0;Time is still a factor, so I used the extra builders to keep the crowd from going back to the entrance late in the level.

BTW, I always thought that your backroute solution to "If at first you don't succeed" was the intended solution! &#A0;I never thought about mining thorough one of the pillars when I first beat the level!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 10:46:18 AM »
It's not only Cheapo, but (afaik) also some versions of the actual game where that won't work, so it should count as a glitch, not a backroute. (How do you get 100% though? What about the left trapdoor?)

Thanks for the "Race against cliches" backroute! I'll have to  check that on the actual game but will maybe include it in the next version. EDIT: yes, it works. Very nice!

I'm pretty certain the backroute solution to "If at first..." was not intended, simply because it doesn't explain why you get so many skills. (And because it offends my aesthetic sensibility; it's a great level when the backroute is excluded.) I thought the same as that about the backroute to "Come on over to my place" when I first solved that level, though..... and indeed that was one purpose in creating the set, to educate people who maybe hadn't realised there were all these different solutions.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 11:14:31 PM »
I always thought my most interesting "back-route" that I actually think is the intended solution is my answer to "Creature Discomforts" (Havoc 7) in ONML. Basically, what I do is solve the right side with a climber-bomb, while sending eight other lemmings on that side up and over the entire right part of the level. Why would you get 10 climbers otherwise?

The left side involves me collecting the lemmings in that small area right under the trapdoor, and building out. I can't offhand remember the entire solution...
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 10:06:38 AM »
By "up and over" I assume you mean over the series of white boxes linked with stairs? Though there's one that slightly overhangs the stairs, so you need a bridge -- in fact that route needs five builders to solve the right half as far as I can see. I agree though that that makes it much easier to do the left if you have five builders over. Maybe I could include that too in my set......

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 04:34:02 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1115438450/0#3 date=1115549178
It's not only Cheapo, but (afaik) also some versions of the actual game where that won't work, so it should count as a glitch, not a backroute. (How do you get 100% though? What about the left trapdoor?)

The 100% solution is tricky. &#A0;I did it by making the first lemming out of the left entrance dig as soon as he hit the ground. &#A0;The next lemming bashed through the pillar to keep from turning around, and the digger bashed as soon as the lemmings could not walk out of the hole (7 or 8 swipes, I think). &#A0;This basher eventually hit the steel on the far right. &#A0;Fortunately, the basher's last swipe left a piece of ground that was just high enough for another lemming to finish the bash through the top of the steel.

Note: &#A0;I got this to work in the DOS version. &#A0;Supposedly, Steaver also found this same glitch, according to this thread:

http://eng-forum.lemmingswelt.de/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1094183189;start=15

Edit:  I just realized that I forgot something in this solution:  The third lemming out of the left trapdoor bashed while inside the digger's hole, and then the digger bashed in order to stop digging.  By simply making the digger bash, he is a couple of pixels too low for the solution to work through the steel.  

To summarize:

1.  The first left lemming digs.
2.  The second left lemming bashes through the pillar.
3.  The third left lemming bashes while inside the digger's hole.
4.  The digger bashes when the lemmings can't walk out the left side of his hole.
5.  One of the bashers goes all of the way to the steel and leaves a "step" when he stops.  Another lemming bashes on this step and makes it through the steel.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 09:28:40 AM »
...hm...thank you!  You gave me an idea that could allow me to finally solve "Is So Easy"!