Author Topic: Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #9  (Read 2111 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #9
« on: January 19, 2016, 12:20:06 AM »
Please see the general contest rules here.

Contest #9

This contest is going to be a bit of the break from the usual format. There's three different goals - and you can enter as many or as few of them as you like! If you only want to enter one, that's fine; if you want to enter all three (with one level each), that's fine too. The entries will all be voted on together, however - there isn't a seperate voteoff for each category.

However, there will be two seperate voteoffs, rather than a "first place" and "second place" within a single voteoff. This will be detailed more further down.

And... there's one twist. Usually, the rule is "no taking advantage of loopholes in the goal". However, this time, you are specifically encouraged to abuse loopholes - in relation to the goals themself (the general contest rules still apply as normal, no loopholing those).

So, here are your goals. Remember - you can enter as many or as few of these as you like. When submitting, please make it clear which levels are for which goals!

1. Create a level using no more than 12 pieces total (objects, steel areas and terrain combined), of which no more than 4 are objects or steel areas.
2. Create a level where all terrain is steel, that cannot be completed without using at least two destructive skills (a destructive skill is any skill that, in normal usage, removes terrain).
3. Create a level based off a level from Original Lemmings. You may not change any of its terrain, objects or steel areas; you may modify it in any other way.

For #3, you should use the native copy of the level for whatever engine you're using as the starting point. IE: If you're using Lemmix, use the Lemmix (/ DOS) version of that level. If you're using NeoLemmix, use the NeoLemmix version of that level. In NeoLemmix, you can dump copies of the LVL files by pressing F4 on the title screen; if you're still having trouble, send me a PM and let me know which level you want.

You may use any of the usually-accepted engines, with one exception: Lix cannot be used for the 3rd goal (as there's no "native" version of the Orig levels for it). It's fine to use Lix for the other two.

As I mentioned above, there will be two seperate voteoffs, rather than a single one that picks first and second.

The first voteoff - the winner of which will have the first pick of prize (like 1st place would in a usual contest) - is the same as always. It's a vote for the best level.
The second voteoff - the winner of which will have the second pick of prize - is for the most creative loopholing of the goals.

The same person - and even the same level - may win both voteoffs!

In terms of deadline, I'm going to peg it somewhat to the Level of the Year 2015 contest, so we don't have too much overlap.
The playing phase will begin at whatever comes last - February 7th, or LOTY2015's second round of voting finishing.
The voting phase will begin at whatever comes last - two weeks after the playing phase begins, or LOTY2015's voting as a whole finishes. As usual, the update phase will end a few days before this.

The usual rules about deadline extensions still apply.

The prizes available for this contest are:
- US$5.00
- One month's advertising on the forum's news ticker
- Title screen logo or rank signs for your NeoLemmix pack designed by me (you can request what kind of design, but do note that you'll need to give me some time to make them)

If the same person wins both voteoffs, instead of choosing two different prizes, they may choose to "boost" a single prize - for the first two that means they get 50% extra, while for the last one that would change the "or" to an "and".

Entries so far: 0
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #9
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 12:28:02 AM »
Some clarification on the 2nd one:

If a solution is found that uses less than two destructive skills before the update phase closes, you are allowed to fix the level to remove this solution.
However, if one is found after the update phase closes (or one that was found before then remains unfixed) - even if it's after the voting phase has started - the level is immediately disqualified.

Of course, if the contest has already finished before said solution is found, then you've gotten away with it. I'm not going to try and retroactively take back the prize. :P
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #9
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 08:32:02 AM »
Ouch. No entries for this one at all. Guess the rules must've been a tad too complicated, or just not interesting enough.

Oh well. Once LOTY2015 is completely over, I might put up another contest with a simpler setup.
My Lemmings projects