Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER] [ADDED] Mass-assigning floaters to dense bunch  (Read 8497 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER] [ADDED] Mass-assigning floaters to dense bunch
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 01:59:48 PM »
The L2 assignment is blocking like old NL assignment: If there are a walker and a stunner under the cursor, and the game prefers the stunner, clicks do nothing.

With the new priority code though, cases like this should rarely (if ever) happen, unless none of the lemmings under the cursor can be assigned the skill in question.

The only case I can think of is when something other than the lemming's current action blocks it (for example, if there are two lemmings under the cursor who are both walkers, one standing on steel, one not, and you try to assign a digger).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 06:17:40 AM »
I saw this thread title and immediately had a rather different idea. Stop me if this is too radical:

Hold Shift* and click to assign to all eligible lemmings under the cursor.

*I'm aware Shift is already used for something else. Ignore this for now, ok?

We've just saved ourselves 9 clicks!

Worth considering? Or am I just really lazy? :8():

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 10:34:32 PM »
Hold Shift* and click to assign to all eligible lemmings under the cursor.

If the game already allows for multiple assignments in same frame, this is a reasonable suggestion, though I wonder how often you'd need to do this sort of bulk-assignments to worth implementing this feature.  May it possibly be better to discourage level designs that necessitates such bulk-assignments in the first place? :-\

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 10:49:03 PM »
There's already one of Rubix's Lix levels where, while not required for passing the level, saving the maximum possible requires assigning 95 climbers faster than can be done by any means other than text-editing the replay.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 02:07:06 AM »
There's already one of Rubix's Lix levels where, while not required for passing the level, saving the maximum possible requires assigning 95 climbers faster than can be done by any means other than text-editing the replay.

Doesn't Lix allow you to pause the game, then repeatedly assign skills without advancing the frame? (Whereas NeoLemmix intentionally does not, due to the one-assignment-per-frame limitation.)

Anyway, I feel that both the "mass assign" and the question of when assignments should be outright prevented are different enough from the priority issue in this thread that they should be in their own topics. Since it seems that this issue in and of itself seems to be sorted, I'll now close this topic.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)