Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER] Hint in-texts and the Hint Object  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
[SUGGESTION] [PLAYER] Hint in-texts and the Hint Object
« on: January 16, 2016, 04:16:49 PM »
EDIT: Another topic, with more activity, on the same subject exists, therefore this one has been closed. Please see: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3193.0

BitBucket Issue Tracker: https://bitbucket.org/namida42/neolemmixplayer/issues/2/add-support-for-hints-of-some-kind
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:41:02 AM by namida »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER] Hint in-texts and the Hint Object
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 04:17:41 PM »
This topic has been used to discuss how one should display hints in-text and the hint object.

So far, Simon suggested overlays for in-text. I would like to see what others suggest as ways to display the hint in-text.

For the hint object, I would like to see that fully implemented. The hint object came with Cheapo in the form of arrows which can do things like point out when a lemming should use that skill, where the hidden exit is, etc.

Perhaps one way would be to press a hotkey that will display the hint arrows. This will be very useful for levels that require using skills at the right time (e.g. mining in the right place, use the builder in the correct place for the miner-builder trick, etc.) to prevent trial-and-error and precision. Perhaps program it so that the arrows can appear one-by-one with every press of the same button. Another button can be used to either remove the arrows one-by-one, or remove them all completely.

In this test level below, assuming that you have one climber, 10 blockers, one builder, one platformer and one miner. If you're not sure what to do, press a button and Arrow #1 will display. This arrow will help you think to either use the platformer or builder. Press the same and Arrow #2 will display, which will give you an idea of how to save the lemmings below. This is an example only.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 04:34:21 PM by DynaLem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER] Hint in-texts and the Hint Object
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 07:24:10 PM »
Not an urgent matter, but something I would like to implement eventually. Ideally, I'd like to forego the use of hint objects as such, and instead make them a more-global thing (kind of like how steel areas are handled, and how preplaced lemmings should be handled). Let's see what people think about this one.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)