Author Topic: What needed to play (Neo)Lemmix, (Super)Lemmini?  (Read 4906 times)

Offline Hypotenuse

• View Profile
What needed to play (Neo)Lemmix, (Super)Lemmini?
« on: October 27, 2015, 04:22:57 AM »
I have read that Lemmini requires the Windows 95 edition of the original Lemmings to operate. Is this true? I have an HP windows 8 computer and own DOSBOX versions of both the original Lemmings and ONML. I have been interested for awhile in not only playing some of the fantastic level packs that the custom scene has to offer but perhaps even getting to work on creating a pack of my own. So here is my question: what is needed to download and operate Lemmini/Superlemmini and Lemmix/NeoLemmix? Can it even be done on my computer, or is it a compatibility issue?

Appreciate all of your help,

Hyp
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 04:06:57 AM by Simon »
I am the dude who pauses the level to hear the new level music. Also, backroutes are the best routes.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Looking for some advice regarding Lemmini/Lemmix/etc
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 04:47:47 AM »
You will be able to run all of them on your PC.

Lemmini and SuperLemmini require a copy of Windows 95 Lemmings to extract the graphics, levels, etc from. This is because these files are copyrighted and the authors didn't wish to infringe on this.

Lemmix and NeoLemmix aren't so cautious in this regard; just download and they're good to go, no setup needed (a bit is needed when creating content, but still not much).

Almost all custom content these days is for either NeoLemmix or Lix (with Lemmini as a distant third).

Sorry for the lack of detail; no PC internet access at the moment so I have to use a smartphone to post.

PS: Welcome to the forum!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Hypotenuse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 05:57:44 AM »
As far as the Windows 95 lemmings edition goes, are any of the supposedly downloadable versions of it legit? Or should I try to buy a disc copy of it on eBay or elsewhere? Also, does it need a copy of ONML of that edition to support those tilesets? Or does the one copy of original Lemmings do the trick? (And I am assuming Lemmings for Win95 is still supported by Win8, yes?) Huge lemming enthusiast but sadly also a bit of a computer noob. XD
I am the dude who pauses the level to hear the new level music. Also, backroutes are the best routes.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 06:06:05 AM »
Your computer doesn't have to be able to run Win95 lemmings (you can even use Lemmini on a Mac or Linux PC). You just need a copy of it for the data files.

There's plenty of abandonware sites out there you can download it from for free.

The Win95 version is actually Orig and ONML in one, so no, you don't need a seperate copy of ONML or anything.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 07:56:32 AM »
This topic might help you get you started: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=1618.0

NeoLemmix and Lix run out of the box. The Lemmix and NeoLemmix Players allow you to play the original games on modern Windows and they run out of the box.

For custom levels from the level database, Lemmix is recommended, but the setup is a bit more complicated and you need the original DOS versions of Lemmings 1 and ONML for the setup.

If you want to play custom levels without setting up Lemmix there are other options though:
Lix already comes with about 500 custom levels, and on the NeoLemmix website you'll find plenty of level packs for NeoLemmix under the section 'Level Packs'. NeoLemmix allows you use use the original graphics from Lemmings 1, ONML and Lemmings 2, while Lix comes with its own custom graphics.

The only case where you actually need the files from Win95 Lemmings is if you want to run Lemmini or SuperLemmini. If you just want to play the original game, I recommend the LemmixPlayers. Win95 Lemmings isn't all that great...

Offline Hypotenuse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 03:16:33 PM »
When I try to open SuperLemmini my computer is giving me this message that says I can't open a "JAR" file. Is there a way around this? I tried extracting but it didn't seem to change anything. Also, I have Win95 Lemmings downloaded: how do I get SuperLemmini to recognize it? (Or does it automatically detect it?)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: What needed to play (Neo)Lemmix, (Super)Lemmini?
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 08:30:05 PM »
You need to install Java to run (Super)Lemmini. You don't need any such extra stuff for Lemmix, NeoLemmix or Lix.

SuperLemmini will ask you to tell it where you installed / extracted Win95 Lemmings, but beyond that it takes care of everything itself.

I would recommend using Lemmix for the original games. You can get convenient Lemmix players here: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/lemmix.html
These are all all-in-one EXEs, so you just have a single file for each game which you can just use directly on any Windows PC. Lemmix accurately reproduces the DOS versions' mechanics, even including glitches.
If you'd prefer updated, "glitch-free" mechanics, you can get the NeoLemmix equivalents here; these are also all-in-one EXEs: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/neolemmixplayers.html

Custom NeoLemmix packs are generally also all-in-one EXEs. You can find them here: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/levelpacks.html

An even better source for fan-made content, which covers pretty much all engines apart from Lix (even the less-common ones, such as mods of the official versions), is DynaLem's fangame / modification list, here: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=1822.0
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 04:07:23 AM by Simon »
My Lemmings projects