Author Topic: Has NeoLemmix got a virus or is it a false positive?  (Read 4377 times)

Offline insulfrog

• View Profile
Has NeoLemmix got a virus or is it a false positive?
« on: October 10, 2015, 03:27:46 PM »
I have downloaded the NeoLemmix to give it a try but unfortunately when downloading via Chrome, a small box on bottom left reads:

"(Insert NeoLemmix game here).exe is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous."

The file gets in 'limbo' as it were which give me the main option of discarding the file (as a bit of a last chance to stop any infections) and also have the option to keep the file in the box's drop down menu. Thankfully I do scan for threats every time I download something and nothing is found.  However when I try to load up the NeoLemmix package, my internet security package (Norton 360) file insight detects a high threat called 'SONAR.Heuristic.120' and removes NeoLemmix. Essentially was detecting that the program (NeoLemmix in this case) was behaving suspiciously. I am unsure whether this is a genuine threat or a false positive.

Not sure if it had happened to you with other internet security packages that have done something similar but I'd thought I bring to your attention.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Has NeoLemmix got a virus or is it a false positive?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 03:38:38 PM »
From what I can tell from a quick google, "SONAR.Heuristic.120" is a generation based on a whitelist (ie: it lists known good apps, and fails everything else), so if an app is not well-known, it will be flagged.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 07:50:48 PM »
NeoLemmix and Lix and [depending on your antivirus or browser) pretty much anything you download that was made by a small group of people and isn't widely known will register as a virus.
I can assure you that since I used NeoLemmix and Lix and Lemmini widely enough that none of these are viruses or have anything virusy about them at all.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline insulfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
Thank you for your input and taking your time to answer, as I like to be a bit on the cautious side when I download anything. Now that I know that NeoLemmix (or any other Lemmings, Lix, etc. package for that matter) is safe to use.