Author Topic: Official Level Design Contest #6 (Results)  (Read 3438 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Official Level Design Contest #6 (Results)
« on: September 07, 2015, 12:52:48 PM »
Our 6th contest is ended, and with it, we have our winners!

1st Place: Geoffster's "Parking Garage"
Prize: Choosing next contest's rules

2nd Place: Crane's "Mind the gap!"
Prize: US $12.50

Congratulations to the winners, and in particular, congratulations to Geoffster for winning on their very first time entering a contest! This was definitely a tough one to choose my votes (at least for me), since there were a lot of great levels here!

A new contest will be put up once Geoffster's picked some rules (and I've given them the okay).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 09:22:09 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Level Design Contest #6 (Results)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:30:45 PM »
This was a tough choice. My second choice was Cogopolis. I really liked the whole idea behind that, quite a complex level.

I ultimately picked Parking Garage because I liked the style and love that you made a fairly unique level with still only the "old" or basic functions of the game.

Crane's level I found incredibly tough. I couldn't get anywhere with that. And I didn't get too far with Bsmith's level either.

Can't say I was expecting my own level to be voted very high; I was looking through levels of mine and found this one which fit the criteria so I entered it. I'm pretty bad at making a level up on the spot for contests but I wanted to support this one.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 12:02:21 AM »
Congratulations Geoffster! :) Some of us knew your talent from GeoffLems already, and your winning level was another shiny gem.

Full results of the contest (well done namida now at least typing them up :) ):

First round: 10 people voted (up to 4 entries), 28 votes

Safe Descent: 2
Mind the gap!: 6
Cogopolis: 3
Parking Garage: 9
Las Ranas Hermanas: 3
The Adventures of Lemdiana Jones: 4
House on a Hill: 0
Altruism: 1

Second round: 9 people voted (up to 2 entries), 17 votes

Mind the gap!: 5
Cogopolis: 1
Parking Garage: 8
Las Ranas Hermanas: 1
The Adventures of Lemdiana Jones: 2

Final round: 10 people voted for one entry

Mind the gap!: 2
Parking Garage: 8

I loved Parking Garage, and I think it is one of the strongest contest levels we've seen. I think this kind of clear victory was last time seen in Lemmings Level Jam from two years ago, when Pieuw's incredible Utopia blew everyone out of the water. Another similarity with these levels is that the contest theme was pretty much the same in both levels' cases, having builders/constructive skills forbidden. :)

I played the latest versions of the levels and solved Safe Descent, Mind the Gap!, Parking Garage, The Adventures of Lemdiana Jones and House on a Hill, solutions attached in a folder.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 12:07:40 AM by Akseli »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 05:10:32 AM »
In my opinion, it was very hard to choose a top three out of Mind the Gap, Parking Garage, and The Adventures of Lemdiana Jones. But I, too, ultimately voted for Parking Garage in the end (and Mind the Gap was also the other level I voted for in Round 2). Ultimately what it came down to was - Adventures was a tad less challenging than the other two, so that's why it was third. And Parking Garage was just a tad tidier in the final solution. Had I been able to solve it, Las Ranas Hermanas could very well have also been a contender for somewhere near the top, but since I couldn't... :/ (This is why I think that, in contests, there really is such a thing as "too hard".)

There was also one more submitted level (I won't say who it was from; they can reveal if they'd like), that didnt' quite meet the criteria (they had forgotten Stoners were one of the forbidden skills), and the user never got around to making a patched version (or a different level). But this level also looked quite interesting, so hopefully we'll see them release it at some point. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)