Author Topic: 2.00 "Markers" for pre-assigned trapdoors  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
2.00 "Markers" for pre-assigned trapdoors
« on: August 05, 2015, 12:45:34 PM »
A minor feature idea:

In a similar vein to that you plan to have pre-placed lemmings, one-way arrows, secret level triggers, hint arrows and pickup skills as separate features instead of being part of the graphic set, is it also possible to make "markers" that you can place by pre-assigned trapdoors? These markers are no-effect objects.

Currently, the only way to mark that (e.g., as shown in the picture) gliders come out of a trapdoor is to put the gliders pickup skill on top, then put the object as Fake to prevent the lemming from picking the skill up. This can be helpful, but at the same time, since it is a pickup skill, it can be confusing (as there is also a stoner pickup skill on the right). The level in that picture have only has the pre-assigned gliders, but there could be cases where levels have trapdoors that have lemmings assigned different varieties of permanent skills (e.g. one trapdoor has gliders-climbers, one trapdoor has swimmers-disarmers-floaters)
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: 2.00 "Markers" for pre-assigned trapdoors
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 04:58:34 PM »
I'll keep this suggestion in mind. :)

Any discussion about how this should be implemented is welcome. For example, rather than displaying a permanent icon by the trapdoor (at the level designer's choice), perhaps some kind of icon that appears around it when mouse-over'd (perhaps configurable between "mouse over only" or "always show", even?).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:32:00 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 12:19:25 AM »
I thought I posted already but anyway: I'm in favor.

I really like the mouse over option, pretty much exactly as you said. You could have the same icons as for the pick up skills appear above the entrance when moused over, multiple appearing if the lemmings are preset to have multiple skills.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 12:23:11 AM »
I'd think it's preferable to not use the same icons as pickup skills, to avoid confusing the player; especially if an "always display" option also exists. But some kind of icon is perfectly reasonable.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)