Author Topic: Graina : A Lemmings-like sandbox game with dynamic environment  (Read 23416 times)

Offline multiplex

• View Profile
    • Multiplex Games
Re: A Lemmings-like sandbox game with dynamic environment
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 04:49:32 PM »
@607: I just checked the videos, I guess that might fit to the overall setting of the game. Just that the music should be somewhat more happy and max. about 2~3 minutes long. If you find the time, I'd be happy to try. I'm really excited about your improvisation over this "egyptian cliché" :8:()[:

Offline multiplex

• View Profile
    • Multiplex Games
Graina : v0.09 Video
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 07:39:33 AM »
Here is the v0.09 video. About 2.5 minutes showing the adventure and the tinker mode
https://youtu.be/g5YiIOmQeVc

It took me a while but I managed to add most of the feedbacks, especially about the controls, to the game. In the mean time I added the basics like menu. Also fixed lots of glitches and bugs and overall improved the engine.

I've put most of my efforts on the Tinkerer mode. In the end this would serve both purposes of well, tinkering and also using it as an in-game editor to create levels.

I haven't updated the play-link, so it's still the old version. When the game is completely playable and the Tinkerer is completely operational, I'm planning to make another release as v0.1 alpha.

Cheers!

Offline multiplex

• View Profile
    • Multiplex Games
Graina v0.09 alpha - playable
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 10:23:05 PM »
So I figured out that just polishing and adding things don't help after some point. It's not at the point that I like to have but still is playable with lot's of new things.

I'm very eager to hear your feedbacks :)

http://multiplexgames.com/play-now/graina/

Offline 607

• View Profile
Re: Graina : A Lemmings-like sandbox game with dynamic environment
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 10:36:08 AM »
A pm with the composition "Streets of Graina" is coming your way! I'll also try to play the new build today.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 12:39:02 PM »
The interface feels very improved compared to previously. However, I have zero idea what I'm meant to be doing on the third level...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline multiplex

• View Profile
    • Multiplex Games
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2015, 02:53:23 PM »
Well, for level 3 you need to scroll the map a little bit downside by pressing "S" . You'll see some sand blocking the water.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2015, 03:08:39 PM »
Ah, that helps. :) Completed all the levels now.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline multiplex

• View Profile
    • Multiplex Games
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2015, 03:29:21 PM »
@namida : Could you please write your overall impressions so far?

@607 : Looking forward to it :)))

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 05:48:14 PM »
@namida : Could you please write your overall impressions so far?

@607 : Looking forward to it :)))
Um, looking forward to it? Did you not receive them? Perhaps because of the attachments being so big... I might be able to get onto the pc to send them now, and else it'll have to wait until the weekend.

Offline multiplex

• View Profile
    • Multiplex Games
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 09:56:29 PM »
Got it! Sent PM.

Offline multiplex

• View Profile
    • Multiplex Games
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2016, 06:01:13 PM »
Graina alpha v0.4 is out
Take a look in your browser on Kongregate http://www.kongregate.com/games/multiplex_games/graina

Man, it's a hard job to try developing a game as a single guy. Thanks again for the feedback you've previously given. Most of them are in the game.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 12:07:21 PM »
I played a little bit of it, it seems fun! I'm wondering though, is there any way to get a gnome back after you've beaten a level without it, or do I have to choose new game if I want to get it back?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2016, 02:58:07 PM »
Wow, this has really improved a lot since I last looked at it.

Regarding Level 3 (with the spiders), I notice that if you bury them, eventually they'll pop out, and in some cases grab the gnomes before they're actually visible. I would expect that if you bury them, they're either stuck there until you uncover them, or they outright die. If them being able to climb up through the dirt is intended, perhaps this should be made more obvious (maybe some kind of visible tunneling animation?).

Level 5, a bonus goal is to collect some water. It doesn't seem to be possible to actually do this; it will only let me collect the dirt. (EDIT: Same goes for collecting mud on "Pan the Cam".)

Likewise, Level 6 has a goal of "save 5 companions", but I only even have four? (EDIT: Nevermind, didn't realise you can scroll on this one.)

Having to actually click on the bonus goals before the "Next level" etc options come up seems pointless. Can this not be made automatic?

For the level "Mine, Solve and Craft"... this is very annoying, the way that there's the odd pixel here and there of collectible terrain. What disadvantage would having it in a single location give?

On "A Plumber In Caves", is there really any reason the camera needs to be uncontrollable for the first few seconds? It just causes annoyance, especially with how tight the time limit for the bonus is (EDIT: Even more so when you take into account that you can negate this simply by pausing until the uncontrollable part finishes). Also, on the same level, you have to have the stack in the first area perfect for the gnomes to be able to get out; otherwise, they'll hit their head on the thin corridor and turn back (one way to consistenly reproduce this: create the stack such that it's high enough for them to reach the top of the wall, and no higher). Using water instead seems to result in it being even more tempermental. The lava also seems very tempermental when there's a shallow puddle of it - it seems random whether or not any given gnome will die on it. It also seems that even with the best play possible, the bonus time is not achievable by a significant margin.

(Don't take the negativity too harshly; overall, I'm really liking this!)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 03:56:31 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline multiplex

• View Profile
    • Multiplex Games
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 04:26:44 PM »
Thanks for playing!

@607: No you don't have to start a new game. You can quit to the title screen, hit "continue", then select the level you would like to play again. You'll see that the poor guy is still there waiting for rescue  ;)

@namida:
Don't take the negativity too harshly; overall, I'm really liking this!
Not at all. Seeing that you have played to the end is enough, at least I know that the game is not boring :)

Spiders pop-up : I just tried that myself and yeah, it's a kind of unintended behaviour. For now I'll keep them buried. But a tunelling monster, sandworm? is a pretty slick idea :thumbsup:

Level 5, pan-the-cam bonuses : Yep, I put there wrong bonuses. To be fixed.

Mine, solve and craft : Yep. No disadvantage to collect from a single place. I wanted to make it similar to minecraft or terraria logic there, where you need to grind to collect the elements.

Camera uncontrollable : In all the levels, the first 3 seconds, the camera tweens to the position of the entry door. But since in most levels it's single screen, it's not noticable. I can make it fast and for the sake of completeness pause the tween if game is paused.

I'll have a more critical look to the plumber in caves level.

Again, many thanks and have a nice weekend.

Offline multiplex

• View Profile
    • Multiplex Games
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2016, 12:42:48 PM »
Months of hard work and Graina is now v0.5 Alpha.

I'd like to admit that I'm feeling like a lousy self-promoter by posting on this forum only about Graina. I was intending to make much more interaction here but sadly I'm devoting every bit of time I can scrape from my day-life to Graina.

Anyway, this time I published it on itch.io, so you can try it free, no ads, fast and also with full screen option.

There are major bug-fixes, performance improvements, lot's of new levels, 2 boss levels and also a fully-working tinker (creative/editor) mode.

Have a look here:

https://multiplex-games.itch.io/graina

And as always, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers :8:()[: