Author Topic: NeoLemmix Tutorial Pack?  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
NeoLemmix Tutorial Pack?
« on: July 04, 2015, 02:26:38 PM »
NeoLemmix has been out for over a year now, and with it there have been plenty of cool features.

However, not everyone is used to the new features in NeoLemmix. One way that can help people get acquainted to NeoLemmix is the NeoLemmix Skills Tutorial Pack, which is installed with NeoCustLemmix.

I am wondering, should the NeoLemmix Skills Tutorial Pack be expanded to a NeoLemmix Tutorial Pack, with one rank being the new skills, one rank being tutorials for the NeoLemmix objects, one for gimmicks, and one rank being the changes in mechanics (such as autosteel)? Such a pack will also help newcomers get acquainted with NeoLemmix.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix Tutorial Pack?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 02:50:24 PM »
I've thought about this idea from time to time, and it's probably not a bad idea. Perhaps I'll make something like that before working on LPIV Bonus Pack or my other planned project (won't say anything about it at this stage, apart from that it isn't a Lemmings Plus pack of any kind).

I don't think autosteel needs to be included - that's a feature that matters more to level designers than players, and thus would be more suited to go in the pack creation tutorial (which I should probably get onto soon, now that I've done the improved Flexi Toolkit that I had planned for ages but only recently got around to actually making) - but certianly the different steel mechanics (pixel-perfect areas, completely indestructible) should be illustrated.

What else should be included? My thoughts:

Skills - One level for each skill. The existing tutorial pack levels could probably do the job, perhaps in combination with LP Omega-style levels preceeding them (ie: one level that uses the new skill and nothing else, followed by one fairly easy level that uses the new skill in combination with some of the official skills).
Objects - One level for each type of new object (or at least ones that (a) do something, and (b) have actually been used in NeoLemmix content, rather than just existing for Cheapo compatibility). Co-dependant objects (eg. locked exits + unlock buttons, or teleporters + receivers) or related objects (eg: splat pads and antisplat pads) could possibly share a level.
Gimmicks - Not sure how nessecary this one is, but perhaps tutorial levels for (at least some of) the gimmicks, in particular those that actually change the gameplay rather than simply messing with the user's interface (so probably would not include one for, eg, Reverse Skill Counts, Overflow, Bait-and-Switch, etc; but would consider it especially important to include them for often-used and/or versatile gimmicks with a significant gameplay effect, such as Karoshi or Zombies).
Other - This is where things such as the changed steel mechanics could be illustrated. I'm not sure exactly what things should be in here, though.

I also don't know for sure if that's the best order. I definitely think the new skills should be illustrated first before anything else, but perhaps the "Other" should come before the new objects and the gimmicks, since my guess is it would primarily relate to things that did exist in classic L1 but work somewhat differently in NeoLemmix.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:02:58 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 03:34:31 PM »
sounds like a good idea. I plan to include a bunch of tutorials for this sort of thing in my own pack. If you'd like to use them for something else you can.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 04:19:11 PM »
Well, I decided to start work on this. I'm also going to use the Flexi Toolkit to build this, rather than make it from source like I usually do with my packs, primarily so that I can evaluate how useable (and more importantly, how buggy) the Flexi Toolkit is when used in an applied situation rather than just testing that it works.

So far, I've made the first four skill tutorial levels. I'm doing the Skills rank in a format of having first a level that uses the new skill alone, then a level that uses the new skill in combination with one or more of the classic skills - for the latter, I'm just re-using the skills from the NeoLemmix Skills Tutorial Pack, but touching them up a little bit (mostly just removing the empty space at the sides, and removing the time limits). I might finish the skill tutorials off with some simple levels that focus primarily on the new skills - I won't re-use the skills tutorial pack levels here, as both of those were included (although remade in different graphic sets) in Lemmings Plus Omega.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 03:19:48 PM »
I've made a proper project topic on the Other Projects board for this.

http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2182.0
My Lemmings projects