Author Topic: Feature wish: un-Stretched widescreen  (Read 3767 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Feature wish: un-Stretched widescreen
« on: June 16, 2015, 07:14:05 PM »
some people have a widescreen monitor and when they lix i know the strected screen is going to bother some people
i tried making it widescreen in windowed mode but it look terrible is there way we can make the game look good both fullscreen and windowed for widescreen?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Feature wish: un-Stretched widescreen
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:28:21 PM »
As a workaround, in the game's main menu go to Options, Graphics, and set the "Fullscreen resol.**" to both 0s.  Set screen scaling to "Integer" (keep clicking the button until it says "Integer", if not already).  Click Okay to save the changes, then exit and restart Lix.

This is not exactly what you want since most likely the scaling will leave wide black margins in 2 if not all 4 edges of the display, leading to the infamous "tiny Lix screen in middle" syndrome.  You can set screen scaling to "Aspect" instead, but the scaling done by Lix in that mode may not look very good, depending on the native resolution of your display.  The 0s tell Lix to stay with the default resolution of the system, which is typically the native/optimal resolution of your monitor.

What you are seeing is Lix using 640x480 for fullscreen-mode resolution, and the display driver handling it by scaling it unevenly in order to cover the entire display area of your widescreen monitor.  Some graphics cards may have the ability to be configured to perform aspect scaling instead of stretch-to-fill in these situations.  With that in mind, you can also try changing the values (mentioned in first paragraph) from 0s to other values that work better for your monitor.

It has been on the wishlist for Lix to not be internally hardcoded to operate in 640x480 mode.  That may help, although maybe the game also needs an option (not uncommon in many games) where the player can explicitly indicate to the game whether their display is widescreen or not, and the game can then react accordingly.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 12:27:53 AM »
I guess for completeness, I should mention something about windowed mode which sounds like you tried.  As you can see in the Options screen, there are separate resolution settings for windowed mode.  Make sure you use only integer multiples of 640x480.  Anything else won't look good currently.  This may change at some point in (far) future once Lix is not so hard-coded to the 640x480 resolution, for now you'll have to live with these limitations.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 12:37:04 AM by ccexplore »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 03:18:28 AM »
ccx has explained it perfectly. Thanks. 8-)

Right now, choose Integer scaling, or play windowed.

Support for all screen resolutions will come in the D port using Allegro 5. The support has been a development goal from day 0 there. Screenshot with my desktop resolution of 1280x1024, which is 5:4.

-- Simon