Author Topic: Lemmings is #1 on CelJaded's Top 100 Best Video Games List  (Read 6181 times)

Offline CelJaded

• View Profile
    • CelJaded
Greetings, all.

I've been playing the Lemmings games for 20+ years now and since then I've made my own blog where I've today finished a list of my personal top 100 best video games.

As you might have guessed, the original Lemmings has made it in at #1! I registered here to share this because I thought many of you might appreciate a read of this little retrospective that has a few thoughts on what makes the game so unique and timeless.

If you'd like to check out the article then you can find it here: http://www.celjaded.com/celjaded-top-100-best-video-games-1/

Thank you all for keeping the spirit of this great game alive for so many years and helping it make my top 10!

Hope you enjoy the read.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings is #1 on CelJaded's Top 100 Best Video Games List
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 02:40:23 PM »
Wow, great to see! :) I'd think apart from personal experience, most of us would already know what's in there - but what really matters is introducing other people to the game. :)

Anyway, welcome to the forums, feel free to stick around!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »
Great article! :thumbsup:

Glad to see some more people outside of the forums are still playing it ;). It's a game everyone still remembers (mostly in positive memories), but only a handful of people have checked out the custom stuff it spawned.
In my case a late-night random youtube search had me stumbled across some custom stuff, which led to me playing the custom packs (and even uploading the solutions on youtube), which lead to me creating custom levels and even my own pack.

Offline CelJaded

• View Profile
    • CelJaded
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 08:04:51 PM »
Thank you for the support, it is deeply appreciated!

Indeed, I'm looking forward to getting Lemmini reinstalled on my new computer, but I've always wanted to have the Mega Drive soundtrack working on it too. Is this possible with the Super Lemmini upgrade or does it involve modifying lots of files?

I'm keen on the idea of doing another short 'tops' list for my favourite Lemmings levels as it happens, I think that might be quite a fun little project in of itself.

Best regards.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 08:22:50 PM »
Thank you for the support, it is deeply appreciated!

Indeed, I'm looking forward to getting Lemmini reinstalled on my new computer, but I've always wanted to have the Mega Drive soundtrack working on it too. Is this possible with the Super Lemmini upgrade or does it involve modifying lots of files?

I'm keen on the idea of doing another short 'tops' list for my favourite Lemmings levels as it happens, I think that might be quite a fun little project in of itself.

Best regards.

For Lemmini: Just get the music in .mod format, copy it into the music folder and it's part of the "random playlist" when loading single levels. However packs (even the standard ones) using "pre-set" music. In other words:
There is a levelpack.ini for each pack which contains all the information needed to put a levelpack together and also the music it uses. (Simply open a levelpack.ini and you will understand)
It lists also all of the levels and the author gave each one of them a music track from a list which he wrote earlier in the file.
The music tracks themselves must only be existend in the music folder in mod format. I myself used only "custom music files" for Lemmings Reunion (you could open the levelpack.ini from my pack to see an example for a "customised" file. I explained how to "install" it in the dedicated forum thread).
You could try to find all of the Mega Drive soundtrack in mod format, copy them into the music folder and change the levelpack.ini file (music part) for the original packs in order to get the "mega Drive music cycle" (just make a savety copy ;)).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 12:10:25 AM »
For Lemmini: Just get the music in .mod format<snip>

Based on past topics here, getting the MegaDrive soundtrack in MOD format may be a tall order.  On the other hand, SuperLemmini also supports WAV and OGG, and you are more likely to find MegaDrive soundtracks in those formats or in MP3 (which should be relatively easy to convert to WAV or OGG).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 04:32:53 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't an OGG copy (complete with SuperLemmini looping setup) come with the Genesis levels for SuperLemmini?

If it doesn't, its' probably not hard to modify the versions that are set up for NeoLemmix to work with SuperLemmini.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline CelJaded

• View Profile
    • CelJaded
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 11:16:52 AM »
Ah-ha, I didn't realize that Super Lemmini supported those additional formats. I've now got the Mega Drive tunes in OGG format and inserted into the game successfully, lovely stuff!

Thanks for everyone's help; this is definitely the place to be when you've got a question about Lemmings!.