Author Topic: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #4  (Read 7056 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #4
« on: April 10, 2015, 06:35:25 PM »
So, time for another level design contest! :)

General contest rules. Please note that there have been some changes to this since the previous contests. If you're one of those people who doesn't like reading these kind of lists, the tl;dr version would be "Lix levels are now allowed as long as they're single-player, entries don't close even after the deadline until a while has passed since the last entry was submitted, and you get a couple of chances to update your level during the playing phase".

(Hidden behind a spoiler tag to save space.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Contest #4

For this contest, your goal is to design a level that has exactly 5 skills total. This could be five of the same skill, one each of five different skills, or anywhere inbetween. If using NeoLemmix or Lix, using skills outside the original eight skills is permitted, but you still can't have more than five total.

Allowed Engines: Lemmix, NeoLemmix, Lemmini, SuperLemmini, Lix

Engine-Specific Rules:
NeoLemmix: Pickup skills are not allowed. Gimmicks that affect skill counts (such as overflow, reverse skill counts or other skills countdown) are not permitted; other gimmicks are fine.

Timeframe: Entries will close on the 25th of April 28th April at 17:34 (subject to general rule #10).

The prizes available for this contest are:
- US $10 (see general rule #8)
- One month worth of advertising in the forum's news ticker for any project you are creating or involved in, whether Lemmings-related or not and whether free or not (may be reserved for later use)
- A new gimmick of your choice added to NeoLemmix (within reason)
- A new object type of your choice added to NeoLemmix (within reason); this only includes supporting it in the code (and the graphic set editor), not actually adding the object to any graphic set
- Your choice for the next contest's rules (within reason)

BONUS: Everyone who enters a level in this contest (as long as it's within the rules) will receive a Lemmings Plus IV demo, with their choice of extra content out of either (a) an extra level each in the Twisted and Insane ranks, or (b) all four versions of the once-per-rank level. I've already started sending out these demos, so any further entries I'll send the demo as soon as I receive the entry - so let me know which one you'd like when you submit it.

Entries received: 5
Giga
IchoTolot
namida
Nepster
Proxima
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:38:57 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #4
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 10:50:52 PM »
So, following Nepster's thoughts on why there's no problem with it, as well as to increase the number of entries (even if just by one xD), I've decided to enter a level myself in this contest. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 01:08:38 AM »
I've been trying to make a level for this one and I admit this is pretty hard! So far I haven't come up with anything that isn't a really stupid easy level. I'll keep trying however.

Was the date changed? I thought I remember it being the 15 but now I see it's the 25. oh well, good for me.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 01:45:23 AM »
Most of the past contests have had the 15th (or something close to that) as the deadline, since they've started around the beginning of a month. This one started a bit later; it hasn't been changed.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 03:58:47 AM »
I've added one extra prize to the list - early access to a demo of Lemmings Plus IV.

Unlike the other prizes, this one is not limited to a single winner choosing it - if both winners want the demo, they can both get it.

It will most likely be mostly the same as the first public demo, but I might throw in an extra level or two to the contest prize demo. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 06:41:26 PM »
There's about one week left to get your entries in (not counting deadline extensions if levels are submitted close to the deadline). So far, three entries have been received. Here's hoping we see some more! ;)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 04:37:06 AM »
We've got four days left to submit entries now. Do note that any time an entry is received, it'll extend the deadline by 72 hours (as per general rule #10), if that would result in a later deadline than the current one. This is partly to give some time to resubmit if a critical error is found, as well as ensure entries don't close while there's still submissions coming in.
My Lemmings projects

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 10:01:54 AM »
Hm, I feel like joining... I probably won't do that good, though. Is that a problem?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 10:08:28 AM »
Not at all! Give it a go; you might be surprised by what you come up with! :)

In the first contest, we had one entrant who was more or less completely convinced his level was going to do horribly after encountering a few backroutes during the playing phase (keep in mind that back then, revising them during the playing phase wasn't allowed). His level went on to win the contest.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 04:28:10 AM »
At this point, entries will close once 72 hours without receiving any have passed (currently this will be (UTC) April 25 8:31 PM), since "72 hours since the latest entry" is now longer than "until the 25th of April".
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 05:27:05 AM »
LPIV is getting to the point where it's well and truly ready for a demo to be released, and as such, I don't want to have to hold off on the demo for another few weeks to let the playing phase and voting phase finish. As such, I'm removing early demo access from the prize list.

I realise though that some people may have been quite keen on this, so instead of it being a prize - all people who submit a valid entry to this contest before entries close will receive early access to such a demo. :) Demos will be sent out at whichever point comes later - when a demo is ready, or when entries close. Public release will come a few days later.

Those who get a demo through the contest will get to choose one of these two options for extra content in the demo they receive:
a) One extra level each from the Twisted and Insane ranks
b) All four iterations of the once-per-rank level
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:21:25 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 03:38:18 AM »
Apprxoimately 17 hours left until entries close (of course, if any are received before then, the deadline will extend to 72 hours from whenever they're received).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 05:35:38 PM »
Okay, just received another entry, so the 72 hours is reset. :)

I was somewhat not expecting that, so I've decided to start sending out the demos now. Of course, any further entries submitted still get a copy of the demo (and even if the public demo is released before entries close - it'll be 4 days from now - the contest entries still qualify for extra content).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:37:50 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects