Author Topic: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #3 (Playing)  (Read 5442 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #3 (Playing)
« on: March 25, 2015, 05:51:10 PM »
Alright, level submissions for the second contest have now closed, so it's time to start playing the levels and deciding what ones you like and so on!

Here are some rules for this topic:

1. You are allowed to discuss anything you like about the levels, be it your ideas on solving them, your opinions on the appearance of the level, etc.
2. Any details relating to the solution of the levels, unless very vague, must be spoiler-tagged. For example, "I liked that trick" is fine, "I liked that trick near the end" is probably also fine (though use some discretion), "I liked that cloner trick near the end" should probably be spoilered, and "I liked the trick where you clone the lemming then bomb both versions while the zombie is falling" definitely needs to go behind a spoiler tag.
3. Posting replays of your solutions is perfectly acceptable.

(The possible change of allowing updates will come into effect from the next contest. So, no updated versions are to be posted for this one.)

All three levels are NeoLemmix levels. The downloads are in a ZIP attached to this post.

T=0K
Phase 1: DynaLem
Phase 2: IchoTolot
Graphic set: Snow

Deserted Cities of the Heart
Phase 1: IchoTolot
Phase 2: mobius
Graphic set: Bubble

The Sweltering Warehouse
Phase 1: mobius
Phase 2: DynaLem
Graphic set: Fire

All of these levels are NeoLemmix levels. The easiest way to run them is to start NeoCustLemmix, press F6 (load single level) on the title screen, and select the level file. Alternatively, you can open them in the editor then use playtest mode.

Voting will be opened in about a week. For this one, it'll be done in two rounds (lasting 4 days each); two votes per user in the first round, one vote per user in the second round (out of the top two levels), assuming that it's a straightforward result with two levels ahead of the rest in the first round.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #3 (Playing)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 07:02:47 PM »
My solutions to the levels attached (as well as the "official T=0K solution")! :)

Big compliment to möbius for what he did with my landscape! Had to reach deep in my trickbox to solve it, but after some failures it all came together.  :laugh:

The warehouse even taught me another mechanic that I didn't know before!  :o

Hope there are not too horrible backroutes to T=0K! I have a feeling there are.  :P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 07:43:43 PM »
Here are my comments.

T=0K (DynaLem, IchoTolot)
Pretty neat level! My solution didn't use two of the diggers, though. Saved the requirement exactly. Used a few non-obvious tricks, so not sure if it's a backroute.

Deserted Cities of the Heart (IchoTolot, mobius)
Haven't been able to solve this one yet, so it must be pretty challenging! I did have a solution that nearly worked, but it was one destructive skill and a few minutes of time away from working. :( I'll keep trying!

The Sweltering Warehouse (mobius, DynaLem)
Not overly hard, but a very fun level that isn't immediately obvious. :)

Replays attached for the two I've solved.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 07:57:04 PM »

T=0K (DynaLem, IchoTolot)
Pretty neat level! My solution didn't use two of the diggers, though. Saved the requirement exactly. Used a few non-obvious tricks, so not sure if it's a backroute.

Not the intended solution, but also challenging. I think this doesn't break the level.

But I think this level is more of a multi solution level with a handful of challenging solutions exept one right one, which is also nice :).

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 08:36:29 PM »
T=OK
Neat design with a tricky solution. Saved 88%, but 90% should be possible with a little tweaking.

Deserted Cities of the Heart
Rather harsh time limit and one wonders why it is there? The solution is quite nice and it was much fun to plan my approach to this level. Saving 90% is possible.

The Sweltering Warehouse
Interesting design with the abundance of traps. The level is indeed not terribly hard for experienced players. One can actually solve it without using the builder!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 09:59:05 PM »
I have a solution for our level with 40 seconds left on the clock. There are multiple solutions but the ones [I thought] would save more time ended up taking longer.

The other levels look really great  :thumbsup:

What exactly is the thing over the fire on the left side in Sweltering Warehouse? Is that an active object or just decoration?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 10:06:19 PM »
What exactly is the thing over the fire on the left side in Sweltering Warehouse? Is that an active object or just decoration?
It is an active object: It slows falling lemmings and allows gliders to move upwards.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 11:28:06 PM »
I am astonished that everyone has another challenging (not broken) solution to T=0K. So there are 3 at the time; Let's see how many we can get! ;P